As far as fall layering pieces go, the turtleneck is kind of Queen Bee, scoring major points in the chic and snuggly departments. Need a quick on-the-job ensemble that’s equal parts polished and practical? Simply toss on a high-neck topper with a sleek pencil skirt and ankle boots. Night out on the town? Toss on a sleeveless style with shimmery metallic trousers. Presto. Is there anything this closet heavy hitter can’t do? We’re willing to venture that the answer is no. To help you realize your favorite fall essential’s full potential, we’ve pulled together 10 foolproof pairings below.
1. J.Crew Tissue Turtleneck T-Shirt ($35) + M.i.h. Jeans Marrakesh High-Rise Flared Jeans ($89): Who needs a PSL when you can rock this pretty pumpkin top instead? Send the ’70s vibes into high gear by tucking it into a pair of high-waisted flares, then tossing on a longline suede jacket and round sunnies.
2. Zara Zipped High Neck Sweater ($40) + H&M Pleated Skirt ($40): Athleisure, meet disco glam. Serving as a show-stopping office #OOTD or an unexpected after-hours ensemble, this look-at-me combo is exactly what your fine-tuned lazy-girl sensibilities have been looking for. DO pair with statement sneakers and souped-up drop earrings for a high-low look that nails it every time.
3. H&M Crêped Blouse ($25) + Topshop Wallace Slip Dress by Unique ($300): Infuse your desk-to-drinks getup with hot-off-the-runway style by layering a lavender slip dress — that just so happens to be from Topshop’s spring ’17 collection — over a ditsy floral blouse featuring a jaw-dropping front cutout. Achieve instant It-girl status by strutting into the office in pearl-trimmed Mary Janes, then take the look into street-style star territory after you clock out with a bold faux fur coat.
4. Wilfred Free Mariel Dress ($75) + Zara Pointed Leather High Heel Boots ($159): Two pieces, one seriously chic outfit. Scoring front-row-approved style doesn’t have to mean putting on the glitz or even breaking the bank. Case in point: this effortless outfit that strikes the perfect balance of lazy girl and sophisticated siren. A leather-trimmed trench and plum-colored pout are non-negotiable.
5. Wilfred Free Lin Sweater ($165) + Mango Quilted Multi-Pocket Parka ($130): Trips to the pumpkin patch and cool fall nights cozied up by the fire (hot toddies in hand, of course) call for separates that are just as rugged as they are stylish. Start with this rib knit turtleneck (layered over a tissue tee for extra warmth) and high-waisted boyfriend jeans, then proceed to prep for a stroll through the leaves or a Halloween hayride by slipping on a military parka, blanket scarf and wide-brim felt hat.
6. Beaufille Portia One-Shoulder Ribbed-Knit Turtleneck Sweater ($175) + Topshop Pleated Trouser ($60): Wow-worthy GNO looks start with this cutting-edge top. Jump on the anything-but-a-bodycon bandwagon by teaming this one-sleeve stunner with shimmery pleated culottes, a lucite box clutch and black suede platforms for a date with the dance floor.
7. Babaton Seaton T-Shirt ($45) + Mango Flowy Printed Dress ($80): Set the sartorial bar high this season with a wine-colored turtleneck t-shirt. Channel a throwback vibe by slipping it under a printed shirt dress with mid-century appeal. Statement hoops and a perfectly applied cat eye will take you from dusk to dawn, no problem. Platform Oxfords lend the look a down-to-business-with-a-twist edge by day, while shimmery socks and platform heels achieve a playful man-repeller elegance after hours.
8. Rivet & Thread La Crop Turtleneck: Striped Edition ($52) + & Other Stories Star Burst Skirt ($275): Mid-week style slump? Girl, we’ve got you covered. Upgrade a Breton-striped top with this star-studded leather skirt that is straight-up goals. Throw the dynamic duo on with combat boots and an arm party to end all arm parties for an intimate concert at a local bar or a casual date night with bae.
9. H&M Blouse With Trumpet Sleeves ($18) + M Missoni Stretch-Jersey Mini Dress ($233): Don’t look now — we’ve uncovered a statement turtleneck with wear-anywhere appeal. Between dinner parties, board meetings and festive fall soirees, a blouse with this much panache will give you any excuse to pull out a stylin’ swing dress, metallic block heels and a leather jacket. Sign us up!
10. Zara Velvet-Cutout Shoulder Sweater ($40) + H&M Wide-Leg Suit Pants ($35): Go velvet or go home: With a DDG sweater like this in your arsenal, there’s no way this won’t be your mantra from now until spring. Forget slip dresses — this cutout sweater is the piece you need to stock up on this season. Gear up for craft cocktails out on the town by tossing it on with streamlined trousers and statement heels.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.