Unique 30th Birthday Party Ideas That May Involve Travel
Saying farewell to your 20s can be a little sad, but don’t let that stop you from celebrating the next glorious chapter of your life! If you’re not feeling a traditional bash for the big 3-0, we don’t blame you — it’s a milestone that deserves a shindig all its own. Whether you’re ready to face your biggest fears, rock out with your fave band, or go zen, we’ve got a stellar 30th birthday plan, including a few trip options, that will start your next decade out in style.
1. Enroll in a surf camp. Ready to catch a wave in the Pacific Ocean? If you’re looking to pick up a new hobby or push yourself to try something new, learning to surf in San Clemente belongs on your b-day bucket list. Not only does the gorg area boast a beautiful backdrop, but you can get your lessons from guides like those at The Cali Camp.
2. Visit Marfa, Texas. Want to go off the grid for a little glamping R&R? Say hello to Marfa, Texas. With a population of just over 2,000 and the closest airport nearly 200 miles away, this trip will certainly ground you. The remote town has become the ultimate hangout for big-city art lovers and creatives and promises a fun weekend nightlife. Marfa offers a few places to lay your head, but El Cosmico is the place to be. Whether you’re up for becoming one with nature in a teepee, or want to up the chic factor in one of their fab vintage trailers, you should tell your besties to start packing RN.
3. Run a marathon. Hear us out on this one. Running 26.2 miles may sound like an impossible task, but with the right training and a supportive girl squad, you can totes make it happen. Get some bonus motivation by picking a run that will allow you to raise funds for a cause you’re passionate about. Who knows — it might help you discover your new fave hobby.
4. Hit up a summer music festival. The music is loud and the energy is high. Pop on some stellar festival style gems and dance your way through the music scene. If you want to get a glimpse of The Weeknd or Justin Timberlake, head south for Bonnaroo and the Pilgrimage Festival. They’re both less than 30 miles from Nashville, so you’ll need to make a pit stop in Music City too. Or, if the Midwest is more your style, Chicago’s Lollapalooza in Grant Park is always a major hit. This year the lineup includes Chance the Rapper, DJ Snake, The Killers, and Lorde! No matter your music taste, there’s a festival out there that’ll make your day totally rock.
5. Take a dance class. Grab your besties and get your bodies moving with a dance class. Even if you don’t have the moves like Jagger, you’ll have a blast gettin’ your groove on with your gal pals. If you’re in the mood to try something fast-paced, schedule a private session at a studio near you — trained dancers like JJ Dancer offer awesome hip-hop-inspired classes at any level. Want to hit the pole? Don’t be shy! Book a pole dancing party and release your inner Beyoncé.
6. Do a yoga retreat. If you’ve spent your 20s working toward that HBIC gig, a yoga retreat might be just the thing to center you as you journey into your 30s. Take this quiet adventure on your own or bring your fave ladies along to relax and renew. Want to get your Om on like your fave celebs? Pack your bags and head to an Insta-worthy destination for a weeklong retreat with Yogaworks. You’ll start your new year with invigorating vinyasa sessions, meditation workshops, and gorgeous beaches. Yes, please!
7. Sign up to volunteer. There’s no time like the present to use your girl power for good. If you’re looking for a b-day experience that feeds your soul, invite your friends to work at a Habitat for Humanity site for the day. Or, if you really want to change things up, expand your reach by reading up on overseas volunteer opportunities.
8. Go skydiving! If you’re a daredevil or looking to face your fear of heights, skydiving is an adventurous way to dive into your 30s (literally). Newbies taking the plunge can do a tandem approach with a trained instructor strapped on. But if you feel like going all in, you can opt to static line dive, AKA jump solo. Either way, you’ll have a legendary 30th birthday story.
9. Hit the slopes. Who says a beach vacay is the only way to celebrate a milestone b-day? If you’re a fan of powdery white hills, pack your down jacket and ski boots, ’cause Colorado’s 58+ peaks await. The perfect blend of majestic scenery, ski lessons, shopping, and nightlife are a total certainty in the gorg city of Vail, so we suggest you head there ASAP.
10. Take a wine tour. Refine your vino palette with a sophisticated wine tour in Napa Valley. The stunning scenery is enough to make the visit worthwhile, but the worldly knowledge you’ll gain will earn you major points at your next networking event. There are a number of fantastic tours in Napa, but TripAdvisor reviews say Platypus Wine Tour is number one!
11. Jet-set to an exotic locale. Cuba is officially a go-to destination for US travelers, and your big 3-0 is the perfect excuse to head south! Although Americans can now travel to the island, you’ll still need a reason to visit the cultural mecca. Luckily, educational purposes totally qualify, so if you’re hoping to take in some rich culture and say goodbye to WiFi for a few days, bust out those sunnies and get going!
Are you ready to jet-set your way to the big 3-0? Follow us on Pinterest for more 30th birthday ideas.
(Photos via Getty)