Wear *This* to Replace Your Favorite 2014 Style Trends
Now that we’re almost a full month into the new year, it’s about time we finally let go of the trends that got us through 2014. True that old habits die hard (for instance, we can’t imagine our Sunday mornings without kimonos and now that we’ve worn sweatpants outside of the gym, there’s no going back), but once you see the styles replacing your year-old faves, you’re bound to let ’em go. Below, we’re blueprinting your new style go-tos for all of 2015. Scroll through to say “sayonara” to last year’s sartorial hits and meet the brand-new, can’t-live-without trends that will fill the void.
1. Instead of the ‘90s, channel the ‘70s: Throwback style shifts decades with fitted flares and sporty cropped tees that give a spunky, roller rink vibe to basics your grungy grab would roll its eyes at. Channel your retro muse once it’s time to dress up. Think: A-line skirts like a minimalist mod, chic plunging necklines like a disco queen and all-over suede like a high-fashion festival fan.
2. Instead of stacking dainty jewels, pile on mondo treasures: Even though you’ll still be jamming as many baubles onto your wrists and fingers as possible, the jewels themselves are getting bigger and bigger. The metal warrior cuffs and simple tube rings remain refined but span more skin, giving a more noticeable edge to your outfits than delicate chains and air-thin midis could dream of.
Flash Your Flesh
3. Instead of baring your midriff, flash your shoulders: Good news: The new flirty part of the bod to flaunt might be the most hassle-free of them all — no toning, primping or fashion tape required (#thankgoditsnotpelvage). Bare your shoulders completely with carefree off-the-shoulder necklines or play it cool with cutouts along your collarbone.
4. Instead of wearing a two-piece dress, wear a two-piece suit: 2014’s easiest way to look instantly put together is getting a major menswear-inspired makeover this year. To pull off the matching blazer + pants combo like a red carpet pro, pay attention to fit and tailoring — your suit should fit like a glove, especially if you’re taking fashion cues from Jennifer Aniston.
Stuck in the Middle
5. Instead of a midi skirt, don a tea-length dress: It’s true that separates give you more outfit options — you could style your midi skirt down as effortlessly as you could style it up. But if your goal is to nail a look, like the retro-glam vibe that’s big this season — then get it done all at once with a tea-length dress that’ll call you sweetheart.
6. Instead of wearing your pajamas outside, wear your blanket outside: Take the cozy-chic trend to the next level by wrapping yourself in outwear that is essentially a blanket. It turns out that ponchos are no longer just festival wear, and we’re totally okay with that.
7. Instead of broadening your jeans collection, branch out with all-denim-everything: In the past year, you’ve re-evaluated your obsession with skinnies, come to love roomier jeans silhouettes and embraced the high waist like never before. But in 2015, denim is all about looking beyond the jeans. Denim shirts, skirts, coats and dresses — even overall dresses — are all on-point, even when worn one on top of the other.
What style trends are ruling your 2015 so far? Tell us in the comments below.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)