When we think about meat alternatives, our minds tend to go straight to tofu or tempeh — but there’s another option that is worth getting excited about (and it isn’t chickpeas). Seitan is a wheat gluten, and it’s been acting as a meat substitute in certain parts of Asia for over a thousand years. If you have yet to try it, we’ve got 12 mouth-watering reasons why you need to give it a shot this Meatless Monday.
1. Meatless Gyro Wrap: Biting into a soft pita stuffed with fresh veggies, tangy sauces, and hearty protein is what indulgence is ALL about. Thanks to seitan, you don’t have to feel robbed of this experience when you go veg. High five. (via Brewing Happiness)
3. Seitan and Vegetable Stir-Fry: This savory and smokey stir-fry is the weeknight savior your Meatless Mondays have been missing. It’s healthy and ready in 20 minutes, and the robust seitan pieces ensure you won’t miss the meat. (via Pickled Plum)
4. Seitan Banh Mi Sandwiches: Banh Mi sandwiches have become crazy popular in the US, and it’s something a lot of us pine for on the regular. Lucky for us plant eaters, this recipe puts a meatless twist on our street cart fave. (via Chronicles of Passion)
5. Vegan Chicken Pot Pie: It’s hard to imagine a chicken pot pie without, er, chicken. But this recipe pulls it off gloriously with the use of seitan; Grandma would be impressed! (via Connoisseurus Veg)
6. Chipotle Seitan Tacos With Jicama Slaw and Charred Corn: If anyone ever tries to tell you that plant-based meals are “boring,” just throw them one of these bad boys. Smokey seitan brings mad flavor to these jam-packed tacos, and they’ll likely out-rival any meat taco out there. (via Vegan Miam)
8. The Ultimate Vegan Breakfast Burrito: There are plenty of bean burritos to choose from, but why not go big? This option brings you a substantial helping of seitan to help get you going with your day. (via Lauren Caris Cooks)
9. Easy Vegetable and Seitan Curry: Nothing beats getting cozy with a warming bowl of perfectly spiced curry. This good stuff brings seitan to the mix for a filling veggie-centric dinner. (via Produce on Parade)
12. Mushroom and Chestnut Stuffed Seitan Roast With Gravy: We’re not going to lie — this recipe has an extensive ingredient list, but it is oh-so-worth it. Amaze your guests (and yourself) by making your own tender and meaty stuffed seitan roast. (via Green Evi)
For more Meatless Monday inspo, check us out on Pinterest.