What to Make This Weekend: Velvet Christmas Tree Skirts, Lawn Flamingo Sleighs + More
Oh, December, how we love you so. Rainy nights filled with cozy fires, offline Netflix binging galore and snuggles with your BF or BFF (or both!). If you dig the holidays as much as we do, then you know there’s *plenty* to get done this month — seasonal recipe research, winter-inspired home decor and original gifts for the whole fam. So don’t let another weekend go by without DIY-ing something AH-mazing. We’re talking embroidery ornaments, homemade candles, hand lettering and so much more. So what are you waiting for? Go home, get comfy and bust some amazingness out!
1. DIY Lawn Flamingo Sleigh: These fancy flamingos aren’t just for summertime pool parties anymore! Repurpose your lawn birds to incorporate a holiday theme with this present-filled “sleigh.” On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and ‘Mingo! (via Studio DIY)
2. DIY Mason Jar Snow Globe: Shake things up with this adorbs DIY take on a holiday classic. Use that mason jar that’s been kicking around the cupboards, seal your mini tree(s) with mod podge, glue accordingly and just add water — and lots of glitter! Mix it up and add a mini deer for extra cuteness. (via Julie Ann Art)
3. DIY Diamond Terra Cotta Clay Christmas Ornaments: These diamond-shaped tree decorations will add a cute geometric element to your tree. DIY using clay and twine and paint them with your desired color. PS: These can double as table place cards so they can be used year-round! (via Make and Tell)
4. DIY Urban Outfitters-Inspired Christmas Tree Ornaments: Love Urban but don’t want to break the bank? No problemo. We’ve got you covered on the best UO ornament hacks — all you need is a few simple materials and tools to DIY these popsicle decorations. (via Brit + Co)
5. DIY Embroidered Ornaments: Nothing says wintertime like embroidery hoops! Take after Grandma by busting out the needle and thread and get creative with your messages — silly, classic or simple. (via Brit + Co)
6. DIY Giant Snowflake Light-up Marquee: Step up your mantel game BIG this weekend with this lovely DIY marquee. We recommend starting this awesome project on Friday night, as it’s slightly more labor intensive and involves some power tools. Impressive and challenging — we likey! (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. DIY Hand Lettering Guide: Consider your holiday cards handled. This handy dandy hand-lettering guide is easy and impressive. Find instructions and TWO holiday-styled lettering guides in this FREE download. Use it to help you make your festive place cards for your upcoming dinner parties. (via Brit + Co)
8. DIY Oversized Paper Stockings: Why buy stockings when you can make gorgeous ones yourself!? These paper stockings are simple to DIY in an afternoon and make a perfect activity to do with friends on a rainy day. Use crepe, tissue and tinsel paper and go as glitzy and glam as you like! (via The House That Lars Built)
9. DIY Gift Box Holiday Decor: This gift box DIY will turn your home into a mini holiday village — all you need is little boxes, paper, a knife, pencil, a ruler and the Christmas spirit. It really doesn’t get simpler! (via Brit + Co)
11. DIY Colorful & Asymmetrical Clay Shard Ornaments: Bring a pop of color to your wintry white tree with these bright DIY ornaments. We love this project because it involves spray paint (yassss) and there is plenty of artistic freedom to make these ornaments really unique. (via A Kailo Chic Life)
12. DIY Color Block Candles: Whether gifting or sprucing up the pad, these color-block candles will keep the fire burning bright even as the days get shorter. Repurpose old crayons and make your very own color combos. (via Brit + Co)
13. DIY Peppermint Bath Bombs: Tingle bell, tingle bell, tingle bell rock with these amaaaaze peppermint bath bombs. These spicy snowflakes make great gifts (for under $5!), and you can keep some around to take your own bath time to the next level. (via A Pumpkin & A Princess)
14. DIY Advent Calendar: Count down the days with excitement and this super cute and easy DIY advent calendar. All you need are some adorable bottle brush trees (twenty-four to be exact), small blank gift tags and mini deer. Cuteness overload! (via We Are Scout)
15. DIY Giganto Blanket: The name really does say it all — who wouldn’t want to DIY the “warmest and bulkiest blanket ever?” We can’t wait to get cozy in this chunky blankie and cuddle up to some quality holiday TV. Just like a snug bug in a giant knit rug. (via Mamabee)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)