Did you celebrate National Caviar Day Saturday with a plate and Amy Schumer’sTrainwreck? Because we did. Okay, so maybe we didn’t have any caviar, but we totally indulged in multiple ice cream treats for National Ice Cream Day while watching Clueless for its 20th Anniversary yesterday. What can we say? We had to cure the Sunday blues with a sundae and a ’90s flick ;) Luckily, this week will be far from awful because there’s plenty to celebrate. Today happens to be National Lollipop Day (how many licks ’til you get to the center?), tomorrow is National Junk Food Day (aka every day), Wednesday is Hammock Day (go ahead, relax) and Thursday is National Hot Dog Day (we’ve got buns, hun!). In between that buffet of sweets and not-the-best-for-you food, sadly you’ve gotta squeeze in work and commuting. Check out the five essentials to transform those rides from dull to bearable below.
1. Chipotle Friend or Faux: Apparently this week is all about food (not that we mind). Chipotle, who just gave us back our beloved carnitas, is keeping the charitable feels going with a web game for the chance to WIN FREE CHIPOTLE. This is not a drill. Starting Tuesday, hungry fans will be able to guess which foods have fake ingredients and which consist of authentic ones while vying for a chance to get some free Chipotle grub. We see you subtly calling out other food spots, Chipotle. We’re not totally sure how you claim those freebies, but you better believe we’ll be finding out with the rest of you on our ride to work Tuesday AM.
2. “Communion” by Years + Years (Available on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes + Spotify): Fingers crossed you’ve already heard of this crazy creative + talented British electronica/pop trio, because they’re bound to blow up c/o their recently released studio album. If the band’s trippy-yet-clever video for their super catchy single “King” somehow hasn’t popped up on your music radar, do yourself a favor and give the song + their album a stream on your way into the office and again on your way home. Full of energetic and mellow earworms, this impressive group is going for greatness. Now head to their altar and listen to “Communion” right this second.
3. Yes/No Messenger (Free on Android + iOS): Sick of “Wanna go to X for dinner?” and “Are we working out tonight?” followed by an elaborate back-and-forth with your spouse, roommate, BFF etc.? This messaging app will streamline all those convos, making your post-commute activities a breeze to plan with a simple “Yes” or “No” button press. If you’re looking for group input, you can do that too. All you have to do is ask that Y/N Q, send it to the friends you need responses from and tally those answers up. Less debating, more efficiency. A win for everyone involved.
4. The Waiting Game (Available on iTunes + SoundCloud): If you’ve ever shouted “What am I doing with my life?!” while questioning whether you should quit your nine-to-five to pursue that five-to-nine passion project, you must check out this podcast produced by Jake Smith. Subscribe to the weekly show and listen to NY-based comedians Jesse Galle + Janie Stolar chat with a weekly guest who is pursuing their passion and working that full-time gig to see how they do it all (or do they?). Offering up insight into the balancing act that comes with a full-time career and making time for that personal venture, the funny + honest convos reveal everything from failures to successes and even further ambitions. Get ready to feel simultaneously empowered and scared all at once.
5. Rewind (Free on iOS): If you love documenting your days with endless selfies, Snapchats and more, then you should DL this photo-sharing app immediately. Your friends and family (and creepers?) can easily get a visual synopsis of your past 24 hours by rewinding through it in a flipbook style. Depending on how often you snap moments in your day, those closest to you could see you from waking up to lunch and even the gym before bed (and so many more moments in between). Kinda cool, kinda creepy — your call.
How will you be powering through this week’s commute? Share your essentials in the comments.
(Photo via @chipotlemexicangrill)