12 Stylish Essentials That Will Have You Rethinking the Winter Blues
We’re right in the heart of winter, and it’s already been a long, snow activity-filled season. But the surest way to stay positive is to appreciate all the good things that come along with the chilliest season, like fancy hot cocoa, fireplaces and DIY date nights at home. So instead of trying to beat the winter blues, join ’em with these 12 must-haves.
2. Seletti North America Ltd. Pantone Metal Storage Box ($22): You can add some blue to your life and get organized at the same time with this designer-approved box. This little guy makes for great desk decor — it’s ideal for holding a slew of writing utensils and stray papers.
3. Organization Essentials Utility Tin ($20): If you need something a little bigger than a tin to get your mess in order, this utility box is the answer to your prayers. Pack it full of all of your clutter and tuck it away in a corner — all the essentials will still be at hand, just hidden away in this pretty box instead of on display for your guests.
4. Ofina Druzy Prong Studs ($58): If you’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel for your next excuse to buy more jewelry, matching your accessories with your winter sentiment will do just fine. And judging by how pretty these studs are, you’ll be wearing them well past winter.
5. Fluffy Co. Easy Tiger T-Shirt ($30): Everyone gets a little edgy when winter weather hangs out for a little too long (aka right about now). This tee will remind everyone, including yourself, to calm down and enjoy the season before the humid summer has you wishing for snow.
6. Isobell Designs Paso Necklace ($46): If you want to go the blue jewelry route but earrings aren’t really your thing, then this necklace is for you. It’s simple yet stunning, and will be a classy addition to any ensemble.
7. Boom Movement Swimmer Waterproof Speaker ($60): When winter really gets us down, sometimes the only thing we can do is plan for summer. If you’re already thinking about your next pool party, this waterproof speaker is a must-have addition to your early 2016 months.
8. Brit + Co Laser Cut Statement Necklace Kit ($25): Forget simply buying jewelry — make it yourself with this statement necklace kit. If you kind feel like you need a break from the blues, there’s also a lavender version available.
9. Printed Village Turquoise Happi Hat ($18): This hat is stylish, super warm and just the right color nod to winter. We love the warmer, more ocean-y direction the blue tones take. There isn’t a soul on earth that could do without a little Caribbean-inspired hue in their winter wardrobe.
10. Found by B+C California Blue Wig ($21): If you’ve got a night out with the girls on the docket, make it a night to remember by painting the town red (or in this case, blue) with all the fun you’ll have sporting sassy wigs for absolutely no reason at all.
11. Bracket Birthday Headbands ($22): Hosting a friend’s winter birthday party or want to surprise your gal pal during birthday drinks? This pack of ten birthday headbands will take the festivities up a notch by putting the spotlight on the birthday girl.
12. Avril Loreti Bubbles Art Print ($20): Add some blue to your wall art game without bringing down the mood with this balanced print. The playful bubble shapes are wonderfully whimsical.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.