21 Style Essentials for a Work-cation in Paradise
You’re about to embark on an extended getaway to your dream destination — you already have your bags packed and are this close to making it out of the office sans any work responsibilities. Alas, something comes up at the last minute, and you’re burdened with a task (or three) to complete over holiday. While this could be a nightmarish scenario, a work-cation actually has its benefits. For one, you get to work from the beach in a lazy girl-approved swimsuit while soaking up some much-needed vitamin D. Unplugging from your various devices during vacay may not be an option, but you can rely on these 21 stylish travel essentials (think: easy-breezy kimonos, cool tech gadgets and free-wheelin’ slides) to make the most of your time in paradise — even if the occasional work sesh (one hour max) is inevitable. You can thank us later.
1. Scotch & Soda Silk Striped Dungarees ($295): Take it there with these silk rainbow striped dungarees that define one-and-done dressing. Seriously, just slip this Man Repeller-inspired number on with flip-flops and a string bikini for the most versatile look yet. Sign us up, please.
2. And Anana Thing Pool Float ($60): Just because you’re doing “work” doesn’t mean it has to be done at a traditional desk in your hotel room. Why not set up shop on this inflatable pineapple raft as you review your company’s annual report? Life is hard.
3. Madewell Scallop-Hem Pull-On Shorts ($60): Comfort is luxury, people! Embrace a lazy girl ‘tude with these effortless scallop hem shorts that can be slipped on with ease. Pair them with a fedora and some trusty Birks for the ultimate getaway-inspired look.
4. Henri Bendel Charge Me Up Solar Charger ($48): Extend the battery life of your smartphone with this chic solar charger that’s made to maximize your work time even while at the beach. You’ll achieve Inbox Zero in no time.
5. Ban.do Third Time Off’s a Charm Beach Towel ($50): You can say that again! This oversized beach towel will serve as a subtle reminder to work hard, vacation harder.
6. SunnyLife Beach Sounds in Biscay Green ($49): This retro portable sound system gives new meaning to the phrase “whistle while you work.” Queue up your favorite beach tunes, break out the munchies and dive into your workload for the day. Did we mention the amplified speakers and hard case are water-resistant, meaning you can take it anywhere? Oh yeah.
7. Nasty Gal Bailey Button-Up Shirt ($48): Bring a little bit of your corporate style to the beach a la this menswear-inspired striped button-down that serves double-duty as a bikini cover-up. Thankfully, you can ditch the trousers for a pair of high-waisted bikini bottoms.
8. Swell Reusable Water Bottle ($45): Don’t let sun exposure take its toll on your energy levels and personal sanity. Stay hydrated with this stainless steel Swell bottle that will serve as an incentive to drink more water.
9. Kate Spade Classic Nylon Stripe Laptop Commuter Bag ($168): When you have to tote a laptop to the beach or hotel pool, a stylish commuter bag is non-negotiable. This whimsical striped option by Kate Spade is not only streamlined and practical enough for traveling (extra pockets for the win!), but it won’t cramp your style one bit.
10. SunnyLife Avalon Beach Fan ($14): Don’t leave home without this cheerful portable beach fan that will keep you cool and collected when an ocean breeze is nearly non-existent.
11. J.Crew Hooded Terry Poncho Dress ($95): Reach Snuggie status with this terry poncho dress that’s all sorts of laid-back chic. Between brisk mornings on the veranda, naps on the hammock and an impromptu work sesh by the pool, you’ll need an oversized pullover this versatile on standby.
12. Glossier Soothing Face Mist ($18): Need a mid-day pick-me-up after yoga on the beach? Reach for this hydrating face mist by Glossier that will leave you feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the rest of your day.
13. Talulah St. Tropez Beach Umbrella ($229): Fact: You can’t have a work date in paradise without a fancy fringed beach umbrella to shield you from the sun. This one even sports a UV-protective coating to keep harmful rays away.
14. Target Planner Day Designer Navy White ($15): As it turns out, a stint in Maui is actually the ideal time to revisit old goals (and make new ones along the way). This busy girl-approved Day Designer will not only allow you to pencil in upcoming summer functions, but it even has a spot to record major milestones you hope to achieve over the course of the year.
15. J.Crew Candy-Stripe Dress ($118): Candy stripe dress, where have you been all our lives? This lightweight cover-up is just the thing to toss on post-surf as you dry off and review notes on the beach. Team it with playful wedges for a look that takes you from dinner to grabbing drinks by the tiki hut.
16. Frends Layla Oil Slick Headphones ($150): Block out the noise (read: screaming children by the kiddie pool) with these sleek iridescent headphones that will have you jamming out to Spotify’s summer party playlist in no time.
17. Topshop Haven Pool Sliders ($26): Grading papers, working on a dissertation or crunching numbers for a business transaction? You’re on it. Get ready to live in these sporty pool slides — they’re so comfortable you won’t want to take ‘em off.
18. Madewell x Biltmore Panama Hat ($58): Solidify your beach-babe status with this old-school straw Panama hat that calls for natural beach waves and a chambray off-the-shoulder dress. Throw in some pom-pom-embellished gladiators for endless summatime vibes.
19. Ringly Out to Sea Lapis ($195): Even self-proclaimed girl bosses deserve a break every now and then. Resist the urge to take every work-related call (there shouldn’t be any!) with this smart ring that will vibrate when you have an incoming message. The lapis gemstone is especially fitting for your seaside adventures.
20. De La Mer 1981 Florence Silk Caftan ($298): When on vacay, you deserve to be treated like a queen. Enter the ultra-femme floral silk caftan that will straight-up slay, whether you’re going for a morning stroll along the beach or taking conference calls from the privacy of your balcony.
21. Harveys Lawn Chair in Lemon ($98): First things first: Invest in this Instagram-worthy citron lawn chair, complete with a quirky carrying bag, that you can take to the beach or set up by the pool with zero effort. Pro tip: Don’t forget to share a snapshot of your remote office for the day in good fun.
What are your must-haves for a work-cation in paradise? Follow us on Pinterest for more summer style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.