Sometimes it’s seriously hard to figure out what celebrities are thinking when it comes to their fashion (Khloe wearing faux fur in August, or $1,000 sweatshirts). But every now and then, celebrities have a WTF moment that turns out to be something incredible.
Take, for example, Michelle Obama’s recent appearance on Ellen. She’s wearing a printed dress that *seems* to have a belt and ruffles — but it’s actually just part of the dress. This is called trompe l’oeil, which is French for “trick of the eye.” It’s a super-cool trend that is definitely coming back into style. Here are 10 ways to get in on FLOTUS’s trend.
1. Olympia Theodora Bodysuit ($70): This chic look is awesome, but pesky suspenders always seem to slip off your shoulders when you’re rocking it. Go for the trompe l’oeil version, where the “suspenders” are worked into the tee. Try a denim skirt or high-waisted jeans on the bottom for a totally retro vibe.
2. Moschino Trompe L’oeil Sweater ($272): Obama’s dress is by Gucci, one of the biggest users of the trend. The other brand that’s got it everywhere is Moschino, the maker of this adorable “ruffled” sweater. Can’t you just picture it with a plaid skirt for a Wes Anderson-inspired look?
3. Betsey Johnson Trompe L’oeil Pajamas ($48): If you’re too nervous to try a corset in public, try it on your pajamas. This Betsey Johnson pair is the right amount of cheeky and comfortable.
4. Spencer’s Trompe L’oeil Composition Backpack ($50): This is giving us total middle school vibes — it’s your trusty old composition notebook as a street-chic backpack.
5. Santwo Fake Zipper 3-Pack Socks ($26): These socks have the look of zippers without all the scratchiness of actual metal.
6. Lola in the Sky Sonia Flats ($60): Belgian loafers can run you hundreds of dollars, but this drawn-on trompe l’oeil version are a fraction of the price of the preppy staple.
7. MEOC28 Shop Trompe L’oeil Necklace ($22): If you’ve ever wanted the look of a statement necklace but can’t stand the weight of it, this handmade trompe l’oeil necklace could be your style solution.
8. ASOS Trompe L’oeil Cape ($52): Gucci *just* sent something almost identical down its Spring 2017 runways this week in Milan — jump the trend with this affordable version.
9. Sensi Studio Trompe L’oeil Panama Hat ($152): If you’ve already got an island escape planned for later this year, splurge on this adorable Panama hat to go along with it.
10. Marc Jacobs Plaid Scarf ($225): Safety pin is a total misnomer — those suckers are sharp! Get the punk rock look without all the pricking with this trompe l’oeil plaid scarf.
What do you think of this trend? Tweet us your trompe l’oeil thoughts!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Feature photo via Mark Wilson / Getty)