Curry is one of the healthiest meals you can eat, thanks to nutrient-rich ingredients like fresh vegetables, meats, coconut milk, and anti-inflammatory spices. And that’s not the only reason we love curries. Curries that include yogurt offer extra protein and a super-authentic flavor profile that’s perfect for adventurous eaters. Give these 12 curry recipes a try the next time you’re craving something spicy, creamy, and ridiculously healthy.
1. Creamy Matar Paneer Curry: This super-cozy curry recipe is made with paneer, an authentic Indian cheese. You can also sub in tofu if you don’t care for paneer or can’t find it at your local supermarket. Blend the curry with a hand mixer to make it INSANELY smooth, or keep it chunky by mixing it by hand. (via My Food Story)
2. Punjabi Kadhi: Hearty and flavorful, Punjabi Kadhi is the *perfect* meal for a cool winter or spring evening. Those little balls in the center are spiced, flour-coated Indian potatoes (AKA pakoras), and they make for a delicious contrast with the creamy curry broth. (via WhitBit’s Kitchen)
3. Himachali Aloo Palda: This *unbelievably* flavorful and warming Indian curry dish is made of yogurt, turmeric, rice, cumin, cardamom, mustard seed, onion, potatoes, and a handful of other fresh herbs and dried spices. As a bonus, it’s ready in less than 40 minutes. (via Saffron Trail)
4. Vegetable Yogurt Curry: Adding yogurt to your curries will give it a rich texture and a slightly tangy taste. But add COCONUT yogurt instead of dairy yogurt, and you’ll get a similar, if less tangy, result. Take this ah-mazing vegetarian curry dish, for example: It’s made with all manner of veggies and spices, plus healthy and flavorful coconut yogurt. (via Harriet Emily)
5. Mushroom Yogurt Curry: Ideal for newbie Indian food cooks, this easy mushroom and yogurt curry is ready in a flash. It also calls for ingredients you probably already have on hand, such as ginger, garlic, mushrooms (obviously), cumin, and olive oil. (via Monsoon Spice)
6. Punjabi Kadhi Pakora: Though its name may sound a little intimidating, this flour-based dumpling dish is the ULTIMATE comfort food. The dumplings are served with a curry-flavored yogurt dressing, adding an element of warmth and decadence to these dumplings. (via The Veggie Indian)
7. Easy Weeknight Chicken Curry With Cucumber Yogurt and Roti: Curries are deceptively easy to make, and this simple weeknight dish comes together in roughly 30 minutes. Feel free to use all the parts of the chicken that you like — chicken legs, wings, and breasts are all fair game. (via Simply Delicious)
8. Lamb Rogan Josh: This delectable lamb dish is popular in the Jammu and Kashmir regions of India, and it’s a *cinch* to make in your slow cooker. If you don’t like lamb, feel free to sub in goat meat instead. Then, add all your ingredients into your slow cooker, and simmer for about five hours. Easy as pie! (via Chef de Home)
9. Indian Onion and Yogurt Egg Curry: This dish is perfect for anyone trying to eat a high-fat, low-carb lifestyle. Eggs pack in PLENTY of healthy fats, while Greek yogurt adds a rich, creamy source of healthy protein. Serve with rice (if you’re not low-carb) or eat it all on its own. (via Girl Cooks World)
10. Tadka Palak Raita: Yogurt lovers, rejoice! In contrast to a curry that’s flavored with yogurt, this is a yogurt that’s flavored with curry spices. Serve it with roti, naan, rice, or bread — any of your favorite cream-absorbing carbs will do the trick. (via Life Scoops)
11. Avial: Avial is a veggie curry that’s served in a DELICIOUS blend of coconut cream and yogurt. Feel free to use whatever vegetables strike your fancy — most commonly used are potatoes, plantains, squash, cucumbers, and yams. (via Cooking Curries)
12. Chicken Tikka Masala: Though it only requires four tablespoons of yogurt, we *knew* we couldn’t leave chicken tikka masala off the list. It’s arguably everyone’s favorite Indian dish, and would be a MAJOR crowd-pleaser at a party or around the dinner table. (via The Happy Foodie)
Follow us on Pinterest for more adventurous recipes from across the globe!