At Brit + Co, we believe everyone is a maker. That’s why our mission is to unlock creativity by teaching, inspiring and supporting the maker community. Today, we’re excited to take one step forward in enabling all of YOU to be more creative. We’re thrilled to announce the launch of our #IAMCREATIVE Foundation, a fund designed to enable women and girls to make.
What’s more, we’re pumped to be formally announcing our launch today alongside the White House, in partnership with their national “Week of Making” initiative. Stay tuned for more “Week of Making” updates over the next few days.
Creativity, as we define it, comes in many forms. It can be as quick and easy as a beautifully prepared meal for a group of close friends, or it can be as complex as fabricating an art installation entirely out of 3D printed geodes and LED lights. The key to this is one simple thing: We are ALL born creative.
We want to see you flex your creative muscles and take your DIY skills to the next level. What are your creative dreams? Tell us what it is that you want to build with your hands, mold with your fingers, paint, hack, upcycle or simply create.
We hope to enable creativity in women by equipping them with grants, resources and expert knowledge to execute an ambitious creative project or endeavor. Along with an awesome board of advisors (see below!), Brit + Co will offer grants between $2,500 and $15,000 to help kickstart YOUR creative projects. With four application cycles a year, we’ll offer between 15 and 20 grants annually.
Grants from the #IAMCREATIVE Foundation are designated for female US residents who are 13 years or older. Candidates must also be open to sharing the outcome of their project on Brit + Co by contributing to 2-3 posts on the site.
Projects will be scored based on innovation, education, planning, financial need and your mission. We’ll announce the first round of winners at this year’s Re:Make conference here in San Francisco. A committee of rockstar creatives will serve as advisors to the #IAMCREATIVE Foundation and vote on a select group of finalists several times a year. Foundation advisors include:
- Adrienne Hayes, CMO of Motorola
- Alison Pincus, Founder of One Kings Lane
- Andrew Essex, Vice Chairman of Droga5
- Brit Morin, Founder and CEO of Brit + Co
- Jennifer Aaker, Professor of Marketing at Stanford GSB
- Lauren Conrad, Designer and Activist
- Linda Boff, Executive Director of Global Brand Marketing at GE
- Michelle Mesenburg, Vice President of Marketing at Target
- Mike Perry, CEO of Crayola
- Nicole Hite, Vice President of Creative Studios at Hallmark
- Rebecca Minkoff, Founder and Creative Director at Rebecca Minkoff
- Trish Mueller, CMO of The Home Depot
- Gary Briggs, CMO & VP Product Marketing at Facebook
Ready to go? Get all the deets and submit your idea HERE! Don’t miss our application deadline — July 31st, 2015.
We can’t wait to see what you create!
Have any questions about the #IAMCREATIVE Foundation? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!