It’s the day before the last day of the first month of the year (say that five times fast!) and we’re feeling splendid about 2015 so far. We’ve spent the month making and learning something brand new every single day in the form of our #31DaysofDIY series, and we’ve got our very first book, Homemakers, coming out in just over a month! Now, take a break from Super Bowl predictions and Valentine’s Day prep and feast your eyes on the weird, the beautiful and the innovative.
1. The Prettiest Candy-Colored Instagram Ever: If you haven’t started following @mattcrump on Instagram, it’s time to get on it. His candy-colored photographs seem to come from another dimension, and add a sense of calm and pretty pastel stillness to our Instagram feeds.
2. Bond: This robot is smart. It goes way beyond turning your handwriting into a font — it actually learns your patterns. Importing your writing into the bot involves completing and returning a handwriting sample designed to analyze and extract your distinctive handwriting characteristics and style. The bot doesn’t just copy letters; it learns spacing patterns, angulation, how a person connects certain letters, and how far someone veers from the margins. Then, it lets you print handwritten notes with the ease of writing an email. Amazing. (h/t Fast Company)
3. Dottie Umbrella ($28): Snowmageddon is the real deal for most of the country, but for us California dwellers, we’re all just hoping for a downpour of rain. Next time a thunderstorm hits, keep yourself equipped with this springy ‘brella.
4. Celebrity Dream Home Quiz: For chicks of the ’90s who grew up on Seventeen magazine, quizzes are still one of our very favorite things. This quiz will tell you which celeb has your dream home, based on what pillows, rugs and blankets you like. I got Jessica Alba’s eclectic pad and am all about the patterns and eclectic textiles.
5. An Amethyst Hotel: You read that right. NL Architects have conceptualized a series of quartz buildings cut in half to reveal that sparkly crystalline surface. Each hotel will be part of a scheme that includes quartz-style buildings in cities, on islands, along coastlines and more. Amazing.
6. Hungry Hippo Soup: Also known as the cutest bread and soup combo ever.
7. Ram & Row: Stylish side table, meet the rowing machine. We think you two are going to be life long friends. Though the price starts around $2,300, this would be a pretty awesome way to stay fit when you don’t have time to make it to the gym.
8. Your Wedding ($18): I mean, right?
9. Portal Street Art: For the past five years, German street artist 1010 has been creating these gorgeous, captivating portal-like street art illusions on walls and buildings around the world. We love how mesmerizing each portal is. And SFers are in luck: Hashimoto Contemporary gallery in San Francisco just announced that their next exhibition will be the US debut solo show of 1010. Nimbus will open on Saturday, February 7th, at their Sutter Street gallery.
10. Stamp Ring ($12): Yes. Love. No. Hi. YAY!
11. The BIBLIO-MAT: This totally kooky but awesome vending machine delivers a different and surprising book every time for just two dollars. According to the owners, “The machine was conceived as an artful alternative to the ubiquitous and often ignored discount sidewalk bin. When a customer puts coins into it, the Biblio-Mat dramatically whirrs and vibrates as the machine is set in motion. The ring of an old telephone bell enhances the thrill when the customer’s mystery book is delivered with a satisfying clunk into the receptacle below.” (h/t My Modern Met)