Most of us don’t live in a Pinterest feed, filled with beautiful homes and DIY inspo. Maybe you’re still working your way to achieving those #goals, or maybe you’re not even sure where to start. Been there! If your dream home is less about those Pantone color palettes and hardwood floors than about how your beige carpet can “complement” your beige walls, fear not: We’ve found a few ways to sprinkle a little pizzazz here and there, with plenty of inspo for both the renter and homeowner in mind. Whether you’re in need of geometric floor tiles or patterned rugs, here are 10 ways to add character to any home.
1. Indi-Go-Go: Nothing adds character to a room more easily than a stylish bold rug. Whether your home is graced with carpet, tile or hardwood, layering a rug into your living space will add immediate color and texture. This ocean blue brings a vibrant feel to this modern Southwestern abode. (via Vintage Revivals)
2. Boho Chic: Beautiful homes deserve beautiful rugs — treat yourself with a plush geometric textile that’ll keep your toes happy and your color palette vibrant. There’s a rug for every taste and style, so don’t be afraid to stray from matchy-matchy decor pieces. By keeping your color palette similar and playfully mixing your patterns, you’ll highlight the texture in your room to make it feel V cozy and chic. (via West Elm Blog)
3. Vibrant Colors and Patterns: If you’re working with modern, clean lines, add texture and bold colors to create movement. A bold patterned rug with a pop of color is great for making your rooms more visually appealing, while adding in a good amount of personality to your space. (via Style by Emily Henderson)
4. DIY Neon Letter Light: If a picture is worth a thousand words, what happens when we combine our words and pictures into typographical wall art? From meaningful quotes to personalized lights, your decor can literally say something — even better when it’s personal. (via I Spy DIY)
5. DIY Marquee Lights: Do you dream of seeing your name in lights? You’re going to go bananas over this set of DIY marquee lights. It’s so ridiculously easy, you’ll want to make more than one. (via Brit + Co)
6. Pink All Over: Since your front door is THE first impression on guests and visitors to your home, a bright personalized statement — like a freshly painted door — will make a pleasant and lasting impression. With a door this bright and colorful, who doesn’t want to be friends with the face behind it? (via Look Linger Love)
7. Color Block Doors: If perhaps you have a more strict HOA that doesn’t allow you to paint your front door, fear not! There’s still a way for you to vamp up your decor on the inside. Make a statement by adding pops of color to each door in your home, and just opt for a fun wreath or doormat outside. (via Honey We’re Home)
8. Blue + White: Nothing dresses up a generic floor like fun and fresh tile renovation. From abstract designs to bright and colorful patterns, geometric tiles offer a super easy way to upgrade your space. For a relaxed vibe, opt for neutral blue tones and natural elements. (via Mission, Stone & Tile)
9. Pattern Play: Forgo the typical square tiles for a unique play on patterns. This black and white color scheme allows the floor to function as the centerpiece of this room, so in this instance, less is definitely more. (via Domino)
Statement Door Knobs
10. Gilded Beauty: In an era of digital entry pads and intercom systems, there isn’t always a need for a fancy or stylish door knob. That said, there are so many interesting designs that can help you personalize your space and give each room a special touch as you enter. (via Design Sponge)
11. Staple Door Knobs: Imagine this knob leading into your master suite: tres chic! If you’re on the hunt for a look that looks good in any room, a clean (and clear) option like this one will leave your decor options wide open — even if your doors are closed. (via Clark & Co Homes)
Pops of Color
12. DIY Beyoncé Pillow: If you’re feeling ambitious, get inspired by the work of these DIY Beyoncé pillows. These ocean blue and bright red pillows create an entirely different look and flow in this room. (via Paper Snitch Blog)
13. Bright Rug: While there’s decor inspiration everywhere, it can be hard to decide on one color scheme that fits your style. By mixing bright colors with soft tones and pastels, you can end up creating a modern feel that’s equal parts cool and cozy. These cute patterns and textures are everything. They’re very welcoming and super Pinterest-worthy. (via Katie Kime)
Textured Wall Hangings
14. DIY Tassel Wall Hanging: Guests will be drawn to your new unique wall art piece. If you love monochrome design, look at this chic and modernized DIY. The texture of the tassels brings a summer vibe despite the lack of color, and though this project could easily be done with color, this all-black wall hanging is super striking and unexpected. (via Homey Oh My)
15. DIY Macrame Wall Hanging: With all the displays at Urban Outfitters and macrame curtains lighting up Pinterest, we had to make our own rendition of this wall art trend. DIY one of your own, adding colorful or reflective pieces to create varying depths. (via Brit + Co)
16. Painted Feathers: Gold-dipped feathers are basically the perfect thing to conjure magic when you’re feeling uninspired — and, in total, this project costs less than, say, wall art from CB2. You can completely transform your space by adding just a bit of color (or sparkle). (via You Are My Fave)
Bold Paint Accents
17. Highlight Hidden Features: This is borderline genius: Adding a pop of color to a somewhat hidden vantage point will surprise and delight your guests. Choose a color that stands out, but that complements the natural elements in your home. (via Design Sponge)
19. Bright + Bold: Add pops of color in various places in a room to change it up and add personality — kind of like what this blogger did with her workspace makeover. If the ceiling seems like a reach (pun intended), paint an old thrift-store find, or create an accent wall with a fun, striped pattern. (via Paper Snitch Blog)
Wood Wall Panels
20. Beachy Wall: Long gone are the days when wood paneling was reserved for dingy basements and dark attics. Now, it’s all about texture, pattern and color — all while staying modern. Add a little flair to your favorite room by attaching painted wooden panels. (via Stinkwood)
21. Wood-Paneled Kitchen: Say goodbye to paint, wallpaper and vinyl decals altogether. A wood panel wall is just what you need to add a natural and clean look to your home. Let your guests know you may have a little bit of lumberjack blood in you, by using beautiful wood paneling like this. (via Clayton and Little)
Bright + Patterned Wallpaper
23. DreamyWall Geometric Wallpaper ($50+): This geometric pattern could work in any color scheme, and would look great in a powder room or bedroom. Transform a tired-looking white wall into a pastel wonderland with a few sheets of wallpaper.
How great were these picks? Which bit of character will you add to your home? Follow us on Pinterest for more home decor inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.