The Street Style Guide to Pulling Off Head-to-Toe Black
Variety is the spice of life (or at least, that’s the word on the street), but for those of us who prefer a more pared-down aesthetic (read: neutrals all day erryday), it certainly doesn’t come in the form of vibrant color and over-the-top prints. Ensembles devoid of color often get a lot of shade, but there are plenty of reasons to get behind the all-black-everything thang. Beyond being classic, black has an undeniably no-nonsense, wear-anywhere edge that can inject a serious punch of polish to tried-and-true outfit formulas and street style-approved GNO ensembles alike. The key to pulling off the monochromatic look in true It-girl fashion is to move outside the standard LBD box — think: pattern play, contrasting silhouettes and scene-stealing embellishments. Not convinced? We’re bringing you 13 It girl-approved getups that will make you consider coming over to the dark side.
1. Oversized Tee + Wide-Leg Trousers: A far cry from your go-to get-fit ensemble, where metallics and neon rule supreme, this A+ athleisure look is straight-up off-duty goals. Dress up a graphic tee and fresh white sneakers with classy wide-leg trousers and souped-up shades for an afternoon of errand running, followed up by happy hour with your crew.
2. Cropped Trousers + Off-the-Shoulder Blouse: Break up your black-on-black routine by layering a classic white button-down under a sassy shoulder-baring top for a serious dose of visual intrigue. Perfect for the office or after-hours shenanigans, the two-tone ensemble looks ah-mazing with geometric baubles and bold block heels.
3. Patterned Asymmetric Skirt + High Neck Top: Look to modern graphics like this eye-catching asymmetric skirt to add a dose of cool to your monochromatic ensemble. Bonus points for unexpected silhouettes that add an extra layer of drama.
4. Sleeveless Blazer + Tank + Skinny Jeans: When an LBD feels a little too over the top but your basic tee-and-jeans routine isn’t quite going to cut it, enlist this swoon-worthy ensemble to rack up the style points left and right. Dark wash denim feels downright DDG when styled alongside a sleeveless blazer, scoop-neck tank and a badass bib necklace. Throw a streamlined satchel and a swipe of bold red lipstick into the mix, and prepare to make jaws drop.
5. Sheer Sweater + Midi Skirt: To soften an all-black look, opt for separates with a ladylike feel, like a fluted midi skirt and a sheer Victorian-inspired blouse. Be it a dinner date with bae or an exhibition unveiling, this Insta-worthy outfit will stun.
6. Textured Culottes + Loafers: The key to pulling off an on-point black-on-black outfit? It’s all in the details. Fringe-trimmed culottes and bow-embellished flats add texture and drama to otherwise basic pieces for a day-to-night look that is guaranteed to double up those double taps.
7. Band Tee + Exotic Skirt: Unleash your inner rock goddess with an all-black look that offers no shortage of tough-girl edge. Bust out your best band tee and pair it with an exotic skirt and patent boots — don’t-mess vibes are sure to follow.
8. Athletic Trousers + Leather-Trimmed Tee: In any color but black, side-button trousers like Jen Azoulay’s Zara set would fall on the wrong side of style, but as part of an all-noir ensemble, the effect is seriously sophisticated — especially with block-heel steppers, minimalist baubles and a leather-trimmed tee in tow.
9. Belted Sweater Dress + Ankle Boots: Hit snooze a few too many times? A black sweater dress and statement boots are a straight shot to chic. Just add an eye-catching belt and a bright bag for a foolproof look that comes together in seconds.
10. Boyfriend Blazer + High-Waisted Jeans: When in doubt, put a blazer on it. Give Saint Laurent’s signature le smoking a hint of of-the-moment flair by pairing a longline tuxedo blazer with belted high-waisted denim, a ribbed turtleneck and sleek ankle boots. The result? A show-stopping ensemble you can turn to day or night.
11. Cropped Sweatshirt + Pencil Skirt: To jazz up an all-basics outfit, simply play with proportion a la Sofie Valkiers, who combined a black pencil skirt and cropped sweatshirt to stunning effect. Round out the outfit with elevated accoutrements, like a chain-link cross-body bag, delicate jewelry and statement shades.
12. Embroidered Lace Dress + Embellished Boots: For an epic night out on the town, not just any LBD will do. Upgrade your everyday A-line with quirky embellishments and delicate detailing that strikes the ultimate balance between elegance and edge. Badass boots, glitzy ear cuffs and don’t-care hair are obligatory.
13. Slip Dress + Denim Jacket: When your weekend uniform starts to read meh, call upon your darkest duds to revive your just-chillin’ repertoire. Take style cues from Marie von Behrens and rock a slinky lace-trimmed slip with a rugged denim jacket (bonus points for sassy patches and embroidery) and patent boots for late-night drinks or boutique hopping with your besties.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!