Meet the Coatigan: The Hybrid That Will Change Your Fall Style
Hybrid cars, goldendoodles and s’mores fries — what do these things have in common? They’re all proof that hybrids and mash-ups can yield some truly epic results. With fall in full swing, there’s a new hybrid to put on your radar. Meet the coatigan: half coat, half cardigan. This mashup is a godsend for fall layering and wintery weather. Rock it as a top layer RN and come winter, it’ll look chic (and keep you super warm) when you wear it under a heavy coat. Scroll down for our favorite coatigans this season.
1. Zara Pointed Jacket ($50): What’s black and white and chic all over? This shawl-collared coat made of sweatery goodness, that’s what. Toss this over black leggings and sock boots for a look that is total street-style bait. Come winter, layer this number under a mid-length puffer coat for a chic underpinning that will keep you cozy all season long.
2. COIN 1804 Stripe Sweater Jacket ($25): Doesn’t this beautiful Marsala hue make you want to go apple picking? It’s absolute perfection for autumn. We’re envisioning it paired with skinny cords and suede booties for all of your seasonal activities.
3. Madewell Meridian Sweater-Jacket ($178): When it comes to fall, Madewell just gets it. This hybrid coat can be dressed up with black trousers and a sleek button-down or dressed down with mom jeans and mules. Either way, it’s going to look amazing.
4. Old Navy Long Open-Front Cardi ($35): For warmer days, this long cardi is the perfect light layer. Toss it over a midi dress and ankle boots for an effortless vibe. When cooler days hit, layer it under a heavier coat or statement trench for easy insulation that doesn’t compromise on style.
5. Zara Double-Sided Coat ($70): This minimalist coatigan isn’t just a one-trick pony. Turn this two-in-one inside out for a whole new look. The gray side will complement OOTDs that feature whites and creams, while the camel side will add a cool vibe to all-black ensembles.
6. Selected Siva Knitted Coatigan ($138): Burnt orange and navy is one of our favorite color pairings this season. Not to mention that this abstract pattern is to die for, so prepare to get compliments (lots of them!). Let the coat take the lead and pair it with black skinny jeans, a white silk button-down and ballet flats.
7. Forever 21 Contemporary Marled Cardigan ($38): This dreamy cardigan is proof that being basic isn’t always a bad thing. The yarn is super soft and has a heavier weight to it, so it looks like a coat from far away and a cardigan up close. Give it some rock-and-roll edge and pair with faux-leather pants and crushed velvet boots.
8. H&M Fine-Knit Cardigan ($60): The boyfriend blazer-inspired silhouette of this cardigan will give your go-to jeans and button-down look that tomboy vibe that’s *so* in right now. Just add some patent leather loafers and you’re all set.
9. Free People Alpaca Stripe Coat ($150): A pop of color adds some Southwestern flair to this Free People knit. This boho topper is practically begging to be paired with a floppy felt hat and suede boots.
Looking for even more style inspo? Find it on our Pinterest.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)