Just as the saying goes, everything old is new again. And when it comes to the style heroes your mother likely sported during the ’80s and ’90s, this holds especially true. But you’ll now find these pieces have taken on a modern twist with sleeker, more tailored silhouettes — making them the perfect wardrobe addition for you. Meet your 1990 comebacks.
the fanny pack
1. Theory Suede Belt Bag ($165): Think of this streamlined accessory as the cooler sister to the fanny pack. In reality, the belt bag is basically the same thing: It wraps around your waist and holds a few small essentials, only it’s gotten a new name and overall looks so much chicer.
2. Zara Velvet Blazer ($149) and Pants ($90): The power suit has been back on the fashion scene in a big way this year, showing up on everyone from celebrities to street-style stars. However, unlike its baggy predecessor (à la Cher Horowitz, Hilary Banks, etc.), today’s styles come in slimmer matching sets in a right-now touch, like jewel tones, velvet, or silk.
3. J.Crew Circlet Earrings ($32): Remember those neon plastic earrings? Everyone from your mom to the entire cast of Saved by the Bell had them. Good news: These are not them. This geometric enamel pair still adds a dose of playfulness to your look but feels way more refined.
4. Topshop Moto Cord Zip Denim Mini Skirt ($60): After making a recent appearance on the runways, the return of this menswear trend is back in the form of skirts, jackets, and more. Gone are the days of knee-high socks and penny loafers — both of which would’ve been paired with this mod skirt. This time around, reach for your booties and a chunky knit for an outfit that’ll actually read 2017.
the chenille sweater
5. Sanctuary Chenille Sweater ($79): One of our favorite throwbacks topping this list? Chenille, a super cozy texture that makes for the perfect fall/winter topper. The soft, velvety texture will keep you warm and can be found in just about every style and color.
the half-zip top
6. Silence + Noise Molly Half-Zip Sweater ($59): There’s something about this trend that reminds us of our dad on the golf course, but we’re kind of loving it. Thanks to designers showcasing the half-zip look this season, it’s gotten a facelift in the form of oversized sweaters and color-blocked details.
Want more style inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.