Every ’90s Hairstyle You’ll Want to Rock All Summer Long
Love it or hate it, there’s no denying that the ’90s are back in a big way (full disclosure: We are totally obsessed). And what’s the best part of this retro trend? That’s right — the hair! From music festivals to workplace OOTDs, we seize every chance to rock these adorably wacky styles — not to mention, they’re tailor-made for hitting the beach. This summer, whether you’re looking to get sporty on the shore with a ‘do that screams Britney or you wanna lounge poolside like a grunge style goddess, wear a look that perfectly captures the playful essence of this ah-mazing era. Scroll on and find your new #90shairgoals.
1. Regal Rose Ancient Myth Braid Ring ($18): Before boho was a thing, there was grunge. Recreate that too-cool-to-care mystique during lazy days at the beach with hair rings scattered throughout your bohemian braids.
2. Half-Up Double Buns: Up the ante on your go-to top knot by turning the half-up hairstyle into a pair of double buns. This look is the perfect mix of lazy and whimsical for a casual summer day.
3. ASOS Basic Hair Ties ($9, set of 6): Take your everyday updo to the next level by transforming the basic look into a show-stopping bubble ponytail. Try color-coordinating each hairband with your bikini top and coverup.
4. Cara Braided Clip-In ($16): Remember those ’90s family vacays where you just HAD to get a section of your hair wrapped? Relive one of your ultimate childhood hair obsessions with this ethereal braided clip-in.
5. Boho Crimp: Feeling kinky? Bring back the classic ’90s crimp, plus a modern twist, by incorporating a pinned-back boho braid for a sweet-meets-romantic look.
6. Santorini Silk Turban ($68): This season, it’s all about the headscarf for your next-level, must-have statement piece. Silk turbans are the *perfect* way to inject some extra style into your beach-day look — it’s the ideal complement to your sultry swimwear.
7. Crimped Ponytail: While we’re all for big, teased hair, it’s not the best ‘do for keeping things cool in warmer temps. Get the best of both worlds this summer by tossing your crimped hair up into a high pony to give you that sought-after volume — minus the overheating.
8. Box Braids: Braids for days. Recreate Janet Jackson’s iconic late-’90s ‘do with a set of boxer braids that is giving us all kinds of Poetic Justice vibes. This hairstyle is ideal for heat-protecting your precious locks.
9. Half-Up High Pony: Hit me, baby, one more time! If you’re gearing up for a super-sporty summer, capture Brit’s adorable basketball look from the iconic music video with this half-up ponytail hairdo.
10. ASOS Accordion Hair Bands ($6, set of 2): Looking to add an extra dose of style to your messy bun? Wear an accordion hair band with the lazy-gal ‘do to give your look a playful touch.
11. Double Buns: It’s pretty much a fact: Double buns add instant cuteness to any getup. Show off your sweet side all summer long with a set of double buns that are oh-so charming.
12. Pigtail Braids: Who said pigtails were just for kids? Sport a style that’s downright adorable in the form of pigtails paired with vibrant elastics. Pro tip: For an over-the-top school-girl style, don’t be afraid to add in some pom-pom accessories.
13. Multi-Buns: Can’t get enough mini-bun action? Take the twisty style to the next level a la Gwen Stefani with a fun and quirky multi-bun look.
Which ’90s look are you obsessing over? Follow us on Pinterest for more genius hair hacks and inspo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.