How to Get Rid of Bad Breath by Valentine’s Day
Cupid is making his yearly rounds which means we’re ready to get all dolled up for the official day of love. While flawless makeup and romantic hairstyles may come to mind, paying attention to your breath is just as important for a romantic dinner date with bae or celebrating Galentine’s Day with your BFFs. Keeping your breath fresh is not only appreciated by the people you’re talking to (or smooching), but it’s good for your own oral health too. To help make sure your mouth is in tip-top shape for Valentine’s Day and beyond, below you’ll find five dentist-approved tips to prevent and get rid of bad breath. (Photo via quavondo/ Getty)
1. Remove plaque on the reg. It’s gross to think about, but after a 3-course meal, your mouth is coated in odorizing plaque. Lawrence Fung, founder of Silicon Beach Dental in Los Angeles, recommends brushing with an anti-plaque toothpaste to help dislodge the bad-breath causing buildup from your teeth and gums. Brit + Co Pick: hello Antiplaque + Whitening Fluoride Free Toothpaste ($5)
2. Don’t forget your tongue. Just like the rest of your mouth, your tongue is also a gathering place for plaque. Celebrity cosmetic dentist Marc Lowenberg of Lowenberg, Lituchy & Kantor in NYC recommends using a tongue scraper to remove plaque for fresher-smelling breath. Brit + Co: The Dirt Anti-Microbial Copper Tongue Scraper ($10)
3. Rinse with mouthwash. As beneficial as a quality toothbrush and paste combo can be, it never hurts to back up your oral health efforts with a quick swish of mouthwash. Lowenberg says to rinse your mouth twice a day with an ADA-recommended antiseptic mouthwash. Brit + Co Pick: ACT Mint Anticavity Flouride Mouthwash ($4)
4. Choose your drinks wisely. Sure, wine, whiskey, and tequila are worthy options on the cocktail menu, but if fresh breath is the goal, it’s best to steer clear. “Order a cocktail with vodka — it kills the bacteria in the mouth that causes bad breath,” says Lowenberg. “Also hold off on sugary mixers because they will bind to teeth and trigger odor-causing bacteria.” (Photo via Steve Lupton/ Getty)
5. Put a little parsley on your plate. According to Lowenberg, eating parsley regularly can help combat bad breath that may be a result of digestion. A study published in the Journal of Food Science shows that parsley— along with raw apple, spinach, and mint — can help naturally deodorize breath, making it a quick and easy fix to any foul odor. (Photo via Akepong Srichaichana / EyeEm/ Getty)
Follow us on Pinterestfor more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)