Swapping out your winter layers for spring clothes is one of the things we actually love about spring cleaning. But with the seasonal closet turnover comes the annual conundrum of how to stock your underwear drawer with all the right foundation pieces. Because let’s face it: Nothing ruins a look faster than VPL or an errant bra strap. Keep reading for the lowdown on the underthings you should have for every type of outfit, so you can look your best from the inside out this season.
1. Under Gym, Yoga, or Jogging Clothes: “For the gym, the most important thing about your underwear is that it is comfortable, moves with you, and is breathable,” says Laetitia Lecigne, creative director at Jockey. “Therefore, you want your underwear to have great stretch and recovery, elastic that won’t dig in, and look for styles that are moisture-wicking, with a cotton liner in the gusset area. Also, yoga pants are usually very fitted and there is nothing worse than your underwear lines showing through.” Brit + Co Pick: Jockey Air Seamfree Thong ($13)
2. Under a Silky Slip Dress: “Beware! Silk is a tricky fabric, especially on a slinky slip dress which clings to the body and will show everything underneath,” warns Lecigne. “The key to finding underwear that won’t show is to choose a fabric that is lightweight, with great stretch and waistlines that aren’t too thick or rigid.” Brit + Co Pick: Natori Bliss Perfection Thong ($15)
3. Under White Jeans: “While jeans can be stretchy, they are also typically heavier than other fabrics that women have in their wardrobe. If you’re a thong lover, like I am, a thicker fabric for your underwear can definitely improve your denim experience,” says Lecigne. “A cotton-based underwear can help downplay the roughness of thick seams of hard denim.” Brit + Co Pick: Wacoal Beyond Naked Cotton Hipster Panty ($18)
4. Under a Flippy Sundress: “You can pretty much wear whatever you’d like under a breezy dress,” notes Lecigne. “I like to have some fun with it and add a pop of color with a low ride boyshort, so if the wind flips your dress there are no worries and you are covered. If you suffer from chafing in summer when humidity and the temperature is high, slipshorts will be your best friend. Look for long and short leg lengths and multiple skin tone-inspired colors so they’ll be invisible underneath.” Brit + Co Pick: Aerie Lace Boyshort ($13)
5. Under a T-Shirt or T-Shirt Dress: “Under a tee, everything shows, so your bra should fit perfectly. I like a bra with a soft cup and smooth, lightweight fabric. Make sure the back isn’t digging in because the tighter and narrower your bra is, the more it will show through your t-shirt,” Lecigne notes. “On the other side, if you feel like you need to tighten your straps too much, you’re probably wearing the wrong size. Also, make sure that the cup has a light foam lining with a round shape. This will give you a nice projection and keep your assets facing north.” Brit + Co Pick: Chantelle Champs Elysees Smooth Custom Fit Bra ($88)
6. Under a Deep V Neck or Plunging Neckline: “A deep v or a sweetheart neckline bra will work beautifully under a plunging neckline,” she advises. “The most important things to remember is to pick the correct cup size so you aren’t bulging out. A v-shape neckline will usually give you a more natural shape, while a sweetheart will project and boost. Pick a smooth buttery fabric with a peek-a-boo lace trim to really make a statement.” Brit + Co Pick: b.tempt’d by Wacoal b.splendid Wire-Free Push-Up Bra ($44)
7. Under an Open-Back Top or Dress: “There are only a few options when it comes to an open back dress or top. Stickies can give you some lift, but make sure that they are placed well! Also, be careful, because sweat and makeup can affect the glue and make them less sticky.” Lecigne also mentions that you should, “always check to see that you don’t have any allergies to the glue or silicone used in the adhesive, and when applying, lift your arm up to get the best coverage and support. If you really need bra support, you can have your strapless bra professionally sewn into your top or dress. This works best if the top is form fitting.” Brit + Co Pick: Hollywood Silicone CoverUps ($13)
Want more style tips and inspo? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.