16 Instababe-Approved Ways to Style Combat Boots This Fall
In case you didn’t get the memo, trailblazing’90s combat boots are back with a vengeance this fall. And for good reason. Bigger, badder, and more influencer-approved than ever, these lug-sole stompers are admired for both their don’t-mess-around appeal and their 24/7 tough-girl prowess. The advantage of being worn with mile-long supermodel legs? Not too shabby either. Scroll through for 16 Instababe-approved ways to rock your trusty Doc Martens — we like mom jeans by day and a floral slip dress by night — like a bona fide street MVP.
1. Go a Little Wild: This punk princess is low-key thriving in her teeny-tiny Matrix-worthy frames, raw-hem leopard print pants, and patent-leather combat boots. Dope AF leather beret to go with, please.
2. Rock the Sweater Tuck: We will forever be a fan of the ubiquitous sweater-half-tuck/heavy-duty-stompers combo. Bonus points for this babe’s denim shorts and teddy bear clutch.
3. Fall Uniform 2.0: Brisk fall days, here we come. Up the style ante — and breathe new life into all your summertime dresses — with some OG Doc Martens (ahem, the Jadon style is our fave) and an oversized nubby knit sweater.
4. Femme Meets Punk: Too femme for comfort? Juxtapose a silk dress and classic khaki trench with platform combat boots for a DGAF ‘tude.
5. Red Haute Entrance: Strut. This boss babe’s right on the money with her sheer polka dot slip dress and coordinating red, not to mention dem boots.
6. FROW-Ready: It’s a lewk, okay? Don’t hesitate to team white lace-up combat boots with a feathery topper for your next GNO.
7. Head Mum in Charge: Um hi, is Chiara Ferragni the dopest mum on the planet or what? Her laid-back uniform (and designer baby stroller) get our vote.
8. Made to Strut: Don’t ask us how, but a ruffled romper somehow looks 10 times more fab with combat boots front and center.
9. Mom Jeans FTW: Betcha never in a million years saw this #OOTD in the feed?! Team your combat boots with cuffed mom jeans and a silk bomber jacket for a subversive edge.
10. Model Off-Duty: Taking style cues from Hailey Baldwin, we see. When in doubt, a thrifted denim jacket, a hands-free belt bag, and denim cutoffs will 100 percent fit the bill.
11. Daytime Glamour: Black tie-appropriate attire officially includes a tie-shoulder smocked dress (THAT slit) and GI Jane-approved combat boots. TBH, we wouldn’t have it any other way.
12. Dial it Down: Rule #1: Don’t try too hard. Between her messy top knot, circle-shaped raffia bag, mixed-print dress, and thick-soled boots, this cutie nails effortless dressing.
13. Slay in a LWD: The flounce! The femininity! A dose of masculinity à la the boot du jour is exactly what the doc ordered.
14. Make a Statement: Girllll, respect is earned. This HBIC (head babe in charge) is working it in her girl power tee and distressed denim mini.
15. Test-Drive a Summer Suit: All hail the summer co-ord. For an unexpected mash-up — in the boardroom or elsewhere — ditch the power heels for a “ten-hut!” pose and a sophisticated blazer pairing that would do LaParisienne proud.
16. Mad for Plaid: Cher Horowitz-inspired plaid and a midriff-baring top? As if we would miss the opportunity to bring these beloved ’90s classics (Dr. Martens included) into fall ’18.
Do you plan on incorporating combat boots into your fall wardrobe? Follow us on Pinterest for more Insta-approved style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.