10 Cozy #GirlBoss Pieces Perfect for Crazy Hot Weather
When it’s hot and humid outside, the last thing you want to do is throw on a blazer, button-down and pencil skirt. If that’s the outfit you go with, chances are you’ll be entering that AM meeting covered in sweat. But what’s the alternative? You can’t head to the office in flip-flops and a bikini top (if you can, please tell us where you work). If you want to look like a total boss in the workplace this summer but don’t want to feel like you’re permanently in a hot yoga class, here are 10 pieces you should make yours ASAP.
1. Cotton-Linen Sleeveless Tank ($40): Everlane’s button-downs are a must-have for chic office staples. For an option that’s just as professional looking but lighter weight, try their sheer sleeveless number.
2. Denim Shirt Dress ($73): Dress up this casual dress with an epic pair of booties and a statement necklace.
3. Faux Leather Sport Shorts ($26): Thought you couldn’t wear athletic shorts to work? Think again! This workout staple gets a fashion makeover by swapping the commonly used mesh material for some sleek faux leather.
5. Silkwash Romper ($70): Pop this super comfy silk romper on with a lightweight blazer to quickly put together an outfit that straight up oozes cool-girl vibes.
6. Everlane Street Shoe ($140): Halfway between a loafer and a slip-on sneaker, this leather shoe is perfect for the gal who spends most her day running around.
7. Linen Blend Cropped Pant ($23): Take a break from those thick trousers for the summer and instead rock these lightweight ones made from a linen blend. Pair with that sleeveless Everlane button-down for a super crisp, all-white ensemble.
8. Neoprene Printed Skirt ($163): Thought pencil skirts were out of the question in July? Not when they’re made from neoprene, which is super stretchy (and the same material wetsuits are made from).
9. Sleeveless Trench Coat ($81): Whether the office AC is running cold or you’re headed to an al fresco dinner date after work, throw on this denim trench that has all the class of the classic style, but without the sleeves.
10. Tie Waist Jumpsuit ($119): Is it just us, or do jumpsuits have a funny way of instantly giving off some serious girl boss vibes?
What does your professional wardrobe look like during the summer? Share a snap with us in the comments below.
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.