12 Dresses You Can Wear to Work and on Your Valentine’s Day Date
The period between the holidays and tax season is a particularly tough one for your wallet and your willpower. Amazing end-of-season sales, trendy spring style staples popping up in all your favorite stores and, of course, Valentine’s Day (for which a dress that packs major wow-factor is so in order) — the urge to blow your entire paycheck on new duds is a hard one to resist. But instead of going broke to keep your style game on lock, the key is making the most of your wardrobe by reaching for pieces that can handle a bit of double duty. The 12 dresses below totally have you covered. Dress ’em up on V-Day and then watch as they become your favorite on-duty go-to — or forgo the costume change completely this Feb 14.
1. Zara Dress With Back Zips ($70): Smart, sophisticated and incredibly chic — this red-hot number captures all of your best qualities in one streamlined sheath silhouette. The bold hue has V-Day in the bag, but it’s eye-catching extras like platform ankle strap heels, chandelier earrings and a berry pout that will really hit your date night look out of the park. For work, layer on a structured skinny belt, ankle boots and a quicksilver cuff.
2. A Common Space Knit Drop Waist Dress ($75): You don’t need floral prints and lace to nail your Valentine’s Day look. If modern is more your thing, this textural frock is it. Play up the contemporary cool vibe with block-heeled mules, a fiery red geometric clutch and matching lippy. Tights, bow tie blouses and oxfords offer an on-trend office-ready twist.
3. Prae Tethys Mesh-Silk Tee Dress ($370): This unexpected t-shirt dress was made with minimalists, lazy girls and sports chic enthusiasts in mind. Forgo conventional and rock this athleisure-inspired style solo for a casual dinner or coffee date on Feb 14. On duty, put it at the forefront of your outfit, then enlist leather-look trousers, a sleeveless blazer and statement choker to play strong supporting roles.
4. ASOS White Funnel Neck Mini Dress in Block Stripe ($129): You can’t go wrong with a classic fit-and-flare dress, especially when it’s as sartorially savvy as this striped number. Color blocking and statement lines keep it real whether you’re sipping on champagne and spreading the love (sparkling studs and caged heels in tow) or nailing that to-do list in loafers and a minimalist pendant necklace.
5. Michael by Michael Kors Colorblock Box Pleat A-Line Dress ($190): Play it cool on Valentine’s Day with this brilliant blue gem. The A-line cut and structured pleats feel straight up timeless, an essential ingredient for a classy date-night ensemble; just add a skinny scarf, d’Orsay pumps and a sultry smoky eye. For your nine-to-five, step into a pair of heeled loafers, toss on a boyfriend blazer and go own that boardroom.
6. Farrow Narita Dress ($89): The perfect cure for date night or pre-presentation jitters? A killer outfit that flat out makes you feel good. With its playful bell sleeves, flirtacious mini silhouette and plunging neckline, this chambray stunner is definitely bringing some carefree vibes. Rock it with cute clogs and a wood bib necklace for a bit of ’70s appeal. Flared trousers and a roll-neck top make for an easy layered look fit for the office.
7. Keepsake New Wave Dress ($190): Make waves on more than one occasion with this asymmetrically styled dress. You’re seconds away from full-on bombshell (perfect for swanky dinner plans) with lace-up heels, beaded tassel drop earrings and coppery eyes. Come Monday, get your girl boss on with pointed-toe booties and a leather blazer.
8. Nasty Gal Kozmic Ribbed Knit Maxi Dress ($88): Valentine’s happens to fall on Sunday this year, and if ditching your go-to cozy duds for more “appropriate” dinner attire sounds less than appealing, we have the ultimate solution — a sassy sweater dress. Dress it up with a pair of metallic mules and a sleek choker layered justso over the knitted neck, then pull it all together with a glam faux fur jacket. On the job? Style with bluchers and a decorative leather waist belt.
9. Staud Ashby Dress ($245): Cut outs and super soft suede are a recipe for a spot-on love-day look, but the flash of midriff is so not going to fly with HR. Make your getup feel dress code endorsed by employing a bit of creative layering. Slip on a tie-neck blouse or long-sleeved tee for instant professional polish.
10. Front Row Shop Navy Crinkled Layered Midi Dress ($52): Ruffles are decidedly romantic, but they also bring the frill factor. This midi dress puts a 21st-century spin on the embellishment with an on-trend midi cut and micro-pleating to make it one of the coolest ruffled dresses around. For V-Day and beyond, stick with low-key accessories to keep all eyes on the dramatic texture.
11. French Connection Lula Stretch Double Layer Dress ($158): Team up this cleverly color blocked frock with a jacquard jacket and zippered flats for a can’t-fail workweek look, then amp it up for your Valentine’s rendezvous with a playful top knot and magenta lipstick for a dash of fun, no-fuss flair.
12. Sister Jane Dream States Pinafore Dress ($106): Keep things interesting with a mini dress boasting pleated tier sleeves that bring the drama (in a good way) both day and night. For date night, step into a pair of vampy over-the-knee boots and adorn hair with a few floral or crystal-embellished clips for a cool fusion of ethereal and mod styles. Take the dress for a spin at the office with metallic flats and a two-tiered geometric necklace.
Which one of these day-to-night dresses is your favorite? Follow us on Pinterest for more fun + colorful style inspo.