First, it was Thanksgiving get-togethers, then it was holiday parties. Now, it’s all about New Year’s Eve soirees and what to wear to them and soon — sooo soon — you’ll be thinking about date night dresses that will stand up to your Valentine’s Day plans. With a slew of special occasions you’ve already attended behind you and newly RSVPed events on the horizon, the key to looking cute and not going broke is really to maximize your wardrobe. Not in buying more per se, but in investing in a handful of dresses that can serve as double-duty garments for a number of affairs. Scroll down for 13 glitzy NYE dresses that you could just as easily wear on Valentine’s Day plus the easy styling tips to pull it off.
1. Shakuhachi Fara Bow Dress ($338): Pair this bow-tastic number with chandelier earrings and lace-up flats so that all eyes will be on you come the stroke of midnight. For Valentine’s Day, play up the not-quite neutral palette with a pair of nude pumps that keep this structured frock sweet.
2. Reformation Cosmo Dress ($198): Pull out all the stops with this fun and flirty mini that will show off more than just a little leg for the night. Edge it up with a leather jacket and some patent ankle booties for a considerably more downtown look on NYE and pair with ballerina flats and a fuzzy teddy bear coat to go out with your S.O.
3. Kate Spade Spotlight V-Neck Dress ($448): Get ready to swoon hard for this adorable polka dot dress that’s a mean alternative to your typical rotation of LBDs. Play up a pop of color with statement boots or a quirky clutch when you’re counting down to 2016 and keep things modern, yet classic come February with mesh socks and pointed-toe heels.
4. H&M Bandeau Velvet Dress ($60): Exude major confidence on more than one occasion with this strapless red velvet number that’s ready to mingle. Style this guy up with shiny pumps and an edgy choker to complement the neckline for a night out with friends and layer it over a striped turtleneck to keep the date vibe cozy-cute.
5. To Be Adored Cassie Bow Dress ($419): Rock an off-the-shoulder look with this fancy-schmancy LBD that will straight-up stun. Offset the bows and tulle skirt with some sparkly bobby pins and a bold lip that’s perfect for ringing in the new year. Tone down the frill on Valentine’s day with metallic platform brogues.
6. Rachel Zoe Beck Sleeveless Tie Waist Dress ($475): This triple threat — the plunging neckline, criss-cross back and, most importantly, that bow — won’t go unnoticed come cocktail hour. Toss on a faux-fur jacket to NYE-ify this too-cute number, then add lace tights for a swanky, cocktail-bar ready look on V-Day.
7. H&M Long Chiffon Dress ($20): Ditch the skintight, bodycon dresses for this easy-going red chiffon dress that doesn’t forfeit style or comfort. Bold platform shoes are a must for NYE while a moto jacket and mules will give this frock some date-night edge.
8. Saylor Valencia Dress ($286): Team up this sophisticated lace dress with over-the-knee boots for a can’t-fail NYE look, then tone it down for your February rendezvous with d’Orsay flats for flirty but non-fussy flair.
9. The Allflower Eyelash Lace Shift Dress ($114): Allover lace, trumpet sleeves and a scalloped hem? Oh, yeah. Let this cold-shoulder shift dress do the work for you by styling it up with some ankle booties for a one-and-done party look. Rock your fave pair of colorful sneakers with this lacy frock for a more laid-back date look.
10. Kimchi Blue Sabina Ruffle Wrap Mini Dress ($69): We can’t decide what we love more: The sweet, floaty ruffles or the cool lattice back. This vibrant red wrap dress will not only add major oomph to your NYE or Valentine’s Day look with strappy block heels, but it’s effortless enough to be tossed on alongside a black boyfriend blazer and heeled loafers for an intimate night out.
11. Nasty Gal Kiss ‘n Bell Knit Dress ($58): Take this boho-glam dress with bell sleeves out for a spin alongside a faux fur vest and a glam pair of statement earrings to ring in 2016. For date night, layer on delicate necklaces and strap on some sky-high platforms.
12. The Jetset Diaries Dio Lace-Up Maxi Dress ($269): Show ‘em who’s boss with this entrance-making maxi that sports a sultry lace-up front and a cascading, ruffled hem. Pair with a clutch and bold red lippy for an unforgettable NYE look. Just keep your makeup more natural to switch it up for date night.
13. 4.collective Tiered Minka Dress ($495): You simply can’t go wrong with a timeless fit-and-flare dress, especially when it’s this DDG. Complement the deep burgundy hue and satin-like finish with show-stopping drop earrings as you ring in 2016, and with a classy strand of pearls on Valentine’s Day.
Which of these dresses is your favorite? Follow us on Pinterest for more fun + colorful style inspo.