5 Makeup Products to Master the Eyebrow Contouring Trend
It’s obvious that perfectly carved-out eyebrow trend has become a staple in many a beauty routine. Before trying our hands at it, though, we tend to mindlessly watch video after video tutorial on Instagram and YouTube. The one remarkable step that they all have in common is the use of multiple shades of brow products. That multi-dimensional effect has become known as “eyebrow contouring.”
Yes, that’s right, contouring isn’t just for your cheekbones anymore. Now, you can sculpt your arches for a shade-and-light effect too. The trending method is to start with a light shade at the beginning of the brow and go darker towards the tail to create a more natural, yet defined, look. (Photo via Pascal Le Segretain / Staff)
Where brows of the past largely relied on a single product, this new take requires a few, or a handy all-in-one. When trying to bring the arch appeal to life, Benefit Cosmetics Global Brow Expert Jared Bailey suggests using an exact-match of your shade for the darker option, a lighter shade for the hairs above the inner-eye, and a highlighter for the brow bone. Whatever products you use, just be sure to brush out your brows at the end so that the color shift stays looking au naturel.
We’ve found the best pencils, gels, and powders for the trend. Scroll through to see some of our favorites.
1. Benefit Brow Contour Pro ($34): You’ll get four brow pencils in one with this defining and highlighting brow product that helps to contour your hairs into the ideal brow. It features two colors (one light, one dark), a definer to help carve out the brow, and then a highlighter to enhance the natural arch. To use, Bailey instructs to “Fill your brow from [the beginning of your brow] using the lighter fill shade, and from arch to [tail] using the deeper shade to create dimension. Then, use the definer shade to crisp up the edges of your brow and blend with your finger or a hard-angle brush.”
2. Too Faced Brow Envy Brow Shaping & Defining Kit ($39): This one-size-fits-all kit can be used on anyone from blondes to brunettes, but also to kill the brow contouring trend. Use the Brunette shade in the outer half of your brow and blend the blonde shade in with that all the way to the brow’s start. Finish by highlighting the brow bone and setting the hairs with the wax.
3. Beauty Bakerie BROWnies Eyebrow Gel ($16): For the gal who has less time to spend filling in her brows, this one product can do the trick; it’s all about pressure. Using an angled brush, apply minimal pressure with upward strokes to the front of the eyebrow. As you go further out, use more pressure to darken the pigment leaving those brows contoured.
4. L.A. Girl Inspiring Brow Kit ($9): This more budget-friendly option gets the job done just as well and includes all the tools you need to brow contour. You can tame and frame your hairs with the kit’s two shades, a lovely highlight to accentuate the brow bone, and the ideal clear wax for keeping them in place.
5. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Kit ($65): Not only does this kit provide you with brow powder and gel, it also includes stencils to make sure your shape is also on point. Use the stencil and your powders to shape the brow, then make sure to set it with your Clear Brow Gel.
Tweet us your favorite brow products @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!