Let’s be honest: We all wish we were living la vie Parisienne all the time. But if packing your bags and moving abroad isn’t in the cards for you, there’s still hope. Thanks to these five expert tips from French beauty insiders, you can still look the part of an ex-pat by rocking flawless French-girl style stateside. Their secrets will transform your entire approach to beauty — and leave you looking effortlessly cool. Keep reading to find out how you can nail the look that we love in just five easy steps.
1. A naturally flawless complexion is your ultimate beauty base. French women are makeup minimalists and loathe the look of fake-looking, caked-on foundation. According to Byrdie, the sheer coverage of La Roche-Posay Effaclar BB Blur ($30) is what French model Louise Follain uses to score her fabulous glow.
2. Smudge your smokey eye for a lived-in look. Makeup artist Sabrina Bedrani told Violet Grey that she turns to Dior Diorshow Khol Professional Hold & Intensity Eye Makeup ($32) to create a blended, smoked-out effect that goes beyond your basic cat-eye. She recommends using small brush strokes to apply liner along the outer edge of your lash line, then drawing a pronounced flick at the end.
3. Perfect your red lip. French women have dominated the red lip — and how to wear its many shades, from orange-red to burgundy, without looking OTT. Violette shares this makeup tutorial on creating the romantic “French Kissed” look using Lime Crime Matte Velvetines Suedeberry Coral Red ($14). She also recommends Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain ($14) in Always Red for another French-girl-approved shade.
4. Nourish your mane with leave-in treatments. When it comes to laid-back hair looks, texture is everything — which means bidding adieu to the blow dryer and straightener. Embrace your natural hair and volume, turning to leave-in treatments for some extra TLC. French actress Jeanne Damas turns to Christophe Robin Moisturizing Hair Oil With Lavender ($47), according to Byrdie.
5. Eat (or better yet, drink) organic whenever possible. French women believe that skincare goes beyond the products you put on your face. As Violette shared with Vogue, “The way to have good skin [is] about what you eat. French women try to eat organic whenever possible — and as little sugar as possible.” Consider sipping on an all-organic rosé this summer, like this Spring Seed Morning Bride Rosé ($20), instead of your regular blend.
Want more French-girl inspired beauty tips? Follow us on Pinterest!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.