14 Furniture Makeovers for Your First Apartment
There’s nothing less exciting than making do with an old, scratched up dresser for your first apartment decor. But it’s hard to justify buying entirely new furniture when you’re just starting out and need to save that precious dough. Instead of falling into the sad hand-me-down decor rut, jazz up your furniture with these DIYs. All you need is a bit of dedication and some imagination. These modern furniture makeovers show how even a simple coat of paint can transform an old item into a modern masterpiece.
1. Retro Rattan: Give an old rattan headboard a trendy upgrade by spray painting it in a stylish hue. This intricate option here feels just the right amount of boho-chic with the dark sage green. (via Vintage Revivals)
2. Pom Pom Upgrade: Oversized pom poms in shades of chartreuse and green make a dramatic update to a plain white blanket. All you need is an old knit blanket and plenty of yarn! (via Vintage Revivals)
5. Upcycled Leather Couch: If you want to get really crafty, create your own settee or small sofa with old furniture leather. The leather will feel perfectly worn and soft, while the frame gives it new life. This piece is just right for a small space. (via Vintage Revivals)
6. Mail Organizer: This old wood mail organizer looks like something that has been on grandma’s kitchen wall for decades, but all it took was a few coats of hot pink paint for a complete modern makeover. (via Blooming Homestead)
7. Dresser Makeover: This piece is all about contrast. A well-thought-out paint job completely transforms this dresser, while the offset chevron pattern in the middle brings playful flair. (via Dream Green DIY)
8. Washi Tape Refresh: This simple update takes minutes. Whether you have a plain vase on hand from a floral arrangement or mom’s old stash, enlist some metallic washi tape to give it a chic new look. (via Pencil Shaving Studio)
9. Thrifted Lamp Upgrade: For a twist on traditional style, this old 1980’s-esque lamp got a seriously contemporary makeover. Bright turquoise paint highlights the intricate shape while an origami-inspired shade adds a dose of modern texture. (via Mountain Modern Life)
11. Sofa Update: If you’re working with a sofa that just needs a little something to spruce it up, try adding a new set of feet! Most options will screw on easily, and you can choose one that fits your style or paint them for a pop of color. (via The Blissful Bee)
12. Chandelier Transformation: It doesn’t get any more ’80s than this brass chandelier right here. Gold panels, a new shade and some creativity turned this old piece into a super sleek geometric lamp. (via Apartment Therapy)
13. Upcycled Dresser: With its tall shape and curved top, this classic old dresser is well known for being ancient. Use stencils and two shades of paint to get an intricate pattern on the shelves to recreate this makeover. (via DIY Network)
14. Thrift Store Makeover: We’re seeing a theme here — turquoise and crisp white are a foolproof combination for an instantly modern look. This basic cabinet needed some sanding to smooth out the wear and tear, but after that all it took was a few coats of paint and new legs. (via Poppytalk)
Loving these DIY ideas? Follow us on Pinterest for more inspo!