5 Fun Props You Need to Style the Perfect Instagram Photos
We all follow those certain people on Instagram who always seem to have perfectly styled photos to share and all you can think is #photogoals?! Believe me, I totally get it! I shamelessly love creating a great Instagram photo, so I know snapping the perfect styled picture can sometimes seem like a daunting task. But styling photos that make your followers stop the scroll and engage doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Being prepared and having the right props on hand when creativity hits is a must! I have a prop box filled with fun items I use for photos so I don’t have to recreate the wheel every time. I’m so excited to share some of my favorites with you today!
Psst! I also have a Photo Styling online class with Brit + Co that you can enroll in today!
1. Backdrops: It always starts with the perfect backdrop! I typically use foam boards in various bright colors or a white IKEA tabletop without the legs attached so it can be wiped clean after I use it. This comes in handy since I style a lot of food! Other great options are matte wrapping paper (avoid anything shiny), fun patterned fabric, or overlapping poster boards to create a color blocked look.
2. Felt Letter Boards: Everyone loves a funny or inspirational quote, but you can take your quote up a notch by writing it out on a letter board instead of sharing a graphic. I have a Ban.do Pink Felt Letter Board ($100) and it’s always a hit on my Instagram feed. There are some more affordable options available like the Felt Like Sharing Board ($33).
3. Confetti: Who doesn’t love confetti?! Not only does it add a little bit of fun to every photo, but it also fills in empty areas of the frame that seem a little bland. Some of my favorites are here, here, and here.
4. Desk Accessories: Cute desk accessories and stationery are necessary not only to brighten up your workspace but also for snapping photos! I keep colorful pens like the Poppin Set ($7 for six) and fun notebooks from May Designs. Just add in your Monday morning coffee and your setup is Insta ready!
5. Colorful Sweets: It probably comes as no surprise that sugar-filled images perform well on Instagram. In my opinion, you can never have too many sprinkle donuts or macarons! But if you don’t want to keep sugary treats on hand at all times, you can opt for fun candies from Sugarfina. I keep the Rosé bubbly bears and other colorful confections in my prop box and they double up as a little mid-shoot snack. :)
There you have it! My favorite props to use for stepping up your Instagram game! If you follow me @cakeandconfetti, you’ll see these items on repeat in my colorful photos. You can learn more about my tip and tricks for creating a swoon-worthy Instagram feed during my photo styling course available here.
Don’t be a stranger. After you take my class, feel free to DM me if you have additional questions and don’t forget to tag @BritandCo and @cakeandconfetti in your styled photos and use #iamcreative. Enjoy!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)