10 Expert-Approved Long-Wearing Lip Colors for National Lipstick Day
Whether you need to appear polished in a pinch or take your look from day to night, lipstick is the one beauty buy that has the power to pull everything together in a single swipe. The trick is, once you apply it, you’ll want to make sure it doesn’t budge during whatever you have on your schedule. And, when it comes to finding a long-wear color, there’s no better expert to turn to than a makeup artist. After all, it’s their job to ensure that the makeup they apply lasts from the time the camera starts rolling until the shoot’s wrapped. So, in honor of National Lipstick Day on July 29 (the perfect opportunity to score a free shade), we asked some of our favorite makeup artists to share the long-lasting formulas they keep in their kits. Scroll on to see them all!
1. MAC Feels So Grand Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolor($21): A red lip is a classic no matter your skin tone, but this shade from MAC is well-suited for summer, thanks to the seriously saturated color payoff. Celebrity makeup artist Joy Fennell considers it her current go-to for the hue, but she also adores the texture since it’s matte but doesn’t leave lips dry.
2. Danessa Myricks Real Love ColorFix ($18): The secret to a superior stay-all-day lipstick? According to professional makeup artist Yvonne MacInnis, “It has to last, have great flexibility, feel comfortable, and [not] dry out.” This tube is safe for eyes, lips, and face, so you can create a monochromatic makeup look that won’t budge until you’re ready to take it off. While berry shades are associated with the fall, she considers the fruity shade appropriate all year round.
3. NYX Stone Fox Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick ($7): If you’re looking for something a little more dramatic, MacInnis suggests snapping up this sultry grey shade called Stone Fox from NYX. She admits she grew to love the brand not only for its amazing color range and fabulous formulas but also for the affordable prices — something especially important when having to restock her kit.
4. Sephora Collection Tan Lines #LIPSTORIES Lipstick ($8): Though Sephora Beauty Director David Razzano says the #LipStories line has a shade for every one of life’s adventures, Tan Lines is his go-to nude. Swipe it on when you’re hanging poolside or atop one of the city’s chicest rooftops.
5. Marc Jacobs Beauty Night Mauves Le Marc Liquid Lip Crayon ($26): Swatches of matte finishes are probably what pops into your head when you think about long-wear lippies. But this creamy confection proves that’s not always the case. “It provides everything you love about a liquid lipstick (creamy and long-wear) in a lightweight, hydrating formula,” Razzano says.
6. Surratt Beauty Quaintrelle 03 La Baton Rouge Lipstick ($38): Makeup artist Rebecca Restrepo recommends reaching for this dual-ended lipstick for a healthy natural flush that allows you to play with the finish. “It’s a sexy, healthy tone, like from being in the sun or drinking wine,” she says. “Your lip but better.”
7. Pat McGrath Obsessed! MatteTrance Lipstick ($38): Restrepo says it’s an investment worth making, thanks to its hydrating formula and high-impact color. “The modern formulations are flexible and don’t dry up the lip or feel pasty,” she says. Plus, this nearly neon orange-red lipstick in Obsessed! is a hue that’s been popping up everywhere from the world’s runways to your Instagram feed.
8. CoverGirl Exhibitionist Cream Lipstick ($7): CoverGirl has undergone a serious makeover this year, and Merli Estime, a professional makeup artist, has loved the results — including this update of the brand’s Colorlicious Lipstick. The rich raspberry has become one of her go-to product picks because the “formula glides on velvety smooth and is pigmented enough that even after eating and drinking, it still [stays] on.”
9. NARS Bahama Velvet Matte Lip Pencil ($27): While the season is all about punchy pops of color, Estime also appreciates a good nude like this one from NARS for medium to dark skin tones. “Yes, it’s a lipstick in pencil form, so precision is awesome sauce,” she says. “[It’s] highly pigmented, glides on with no issue, and has an amazing color range.”
10. Huda Beauty Demi Matte Lipstick ($20): Huda Kattan‘s newest lipstick is appropriately hitting shelves on National Lipstick Day. The demi-matte formula strikes a balance between a matte and glossy finish to create what Kattan calls a power lip. In fact, each of the 15 shade names is inspired by other badass monikers, so you can let your inner girl boss loose.
Follow us on Pinterest for more makeup musts and inspiration.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.