Accessories are the icing on the sartorial cake, and even if you can’t drop bank on a slew of new fall fashion finds for your back-to-school capsule wardrobe (or girlboss closet), a few fresh add-ons will easily give your tried-and-true duds an instant facelift. So what exactly are the pieces that will have the biggest impact on your style this season? We’ve hunted down the shoes, bags and baubles that embody some of the biggest fall style trends and put them in one easily accessible place (you can thank us later), so you can effortlessly transition into the new season — zero effort required. Ready the hashtags — these #details are the epitome of chic.
1. Sam Edelman Calista Velvet Pumps ($150): If you can only pick up one new piece this season, make sure it’s a set of velvet steppers. The soft fabric is fall’s sure thing, adding a note of nostalgia and visual drama to Victorian dresses and everyday denim alike. These strappy Mary Jane pumps have the Alexa Chung seal of approval (they’re her go-to shoe, if you weren’t in the know), striking the ultimate balance of feminine flair and practicality with their block-heel styling.
2. Faris Pendo Drops ($198): Hellooooo, gorgeous. Despite being a fixture on endless wardrobe essential lists, shimmery drop earrings just might find themselves quarantined to your jewelry box this season. With sleek abstract pendants like these on standby, a more pared-down aesthetic could potentially become your signature style move.
3. Elizabeth and James Cynnie Micro Shearling Fur Crossbody Bag ($325): (Faux) fur is the word for fall, with fuzzy, plush purses infiltrating the fashion scene. Amping up the luxe factor on even the most blasé basics is what the “furse” does best, making it a must for days when you need a little bit of extra oomph.
4. Zara Buckled Block Heel Shoes ($50): Mules and slides are here to stay, but don’t expect to see the same tired iterations stomping the streets this season. Case in point: these buckled block heels. A little bit mod, a little bit cutting edge, they’re a far cry from standard flats — and that’s exactly why you’ll reach for them every single time.
5. Marc Jacobs Crystal Embellished Bow Brooch ($159): Fall 2016 has been deemed the time of the trinket, with everything from eye-catching headpieces to playful pins popping up on some of the must buzzed-about runways (McQueen, Undercover, Dolce & Gabbana, Rodarte and more). While the whole granny-chic thing started to taper off, a strong showing of glitzy brooches, like this crystal embellished bow, serves as proof that it’s back and better than ever.
6. Free People Sequin Skies Crossbody ($78): One-of-a-kind just got a lot more widespread. Heirloom-inspired purses — embroidered or sequin-studded — are giving crossbody bags and clutches a run for their money this fall with their unexpected old-world appeal. Take this shimmery silver number out for a spin on your next night out, teaming it with a streamlined jumpsuit, a haute ear cuff and a negative-space mani for a killer balance of old- and new-school styling.
7. Salvatore Ferragamo Sara Battaglia Rainbow Mini Pouch ($325): You need not consume processed technicolor eats to taste the rainbow this season — just enlist this rainbow striped pouch instead. Vibrant stripes made the rounds during Fall 2016 fashion week, and we’re totally diggin’ the burst of bright color they’ll bring to dreary gray days. Pop this petite pouch into your on-the-job tote, or slip it into an embellished crossbody for a wild night out on the town.
8. Jeffrey Campbell Serpico MT Booties ($150): Bowie-inspired platform boots might be getting major buzz, but let’s be real — unless you’re a member of a tribute band, those suckers shouldn’t be anywhere near your feet (can you say impractical?). Pointed-toe boots with endless panache, on the other hand, are a major DO, especially when there are Victorian-era embellishments involved.
9. Fay Andrada Oka Cuff ($195): Clean lines and geometric shapes never seem to lose their luster, and this fitted cuff is no exception. The sharp crossover styling lends a seemingly simple staple a modern art aesthetic. Pair sleek pieces like these with ultra-feminine duds to create an element of cool contrast that’s guaranteed to rack up a few extra style points.
10. Zara Lace-Up Leather Ballet Flats ($70): Ballet flats had gotten a lot of flack — branded as boring and blasé, they more or less fell out of favor, bowing to more fashion-forward kicks. That is, until now. With the ballet trend picking up steam, the timeless flat is now a force to be reckoned with, thanks in part to dancer-like updates, including flirty ribbon laces and chic metallics.
11. Coach Tea Rose Appliqué Saddle Bag ($695): As if it wasn’t enough that the crossbody has morphed into a modern wardrobe essential, the hands-free sac is now a verified scene-stealer, with next-level accents taking its style power into overdrive. The flowery saddle bag might be a serious splurge, but the response you’ll get when you hit the streets in this baby makes it all worth it. #nailedit
12. Urban Outfitters Embroidered Thelma Ankle Boot ($98): Who doesn’t love a trend with a bit of staying power? Ankle boots decked out in statement-making embroidery offer an easy way to elevate cool-weather getups in a snap, plus they’re slated to make waves come spring, holdin’ it down with your finest resort threads. Toss ‘em on with an oversized cable knit sweater, a pleated midi skirt and a metallic choker for an effortless look that will take you from desk to dinner, no problem.
13. Olivia Kane Cat’s Eye Opal Arch Ring ($354): Step aside, stacking rings. This opal stunner is proof that quality trumps quantity. Keep your digits on fleek by styling this unique piece alongside an Insta-worthy mani.
14. Daisy Street Burgundy Patent Sock Heeled Ankle Boots ($57): Sure, at first glance these mixed-media boots serve up a serious helping of WTF factor, but then their non-conformist vibe begins to reveal itself as the game-changer it is. There’s no way you’ll go unnoticed when you step out in these. Team them with belted culottes, a slim-fit turtleneck, ultra-modern hoops and a tailored vest for a girlboss getup that feels ahead of the curve.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.