11 Street-Style Coat Trends We Want in 2019
When it comes to winter outerwear, we don’t mess around. Textured teddies, ultra-warm puffers, fluorescent bright toppers, huggable fleece? We’re all in. With 2019 officially here, now’s the time to hit refresh on your wardrobe — starting with a transformative topper that makes you look and feel like a million bucks. You *know* you’re ready for cooler temps when you nab a coat that’s as functional as it is fabulous. Scroll through for 11 street-tested (and approved) outerwear trends that you can invest in for the long winter ahead.
1. Fuzzy Wuzzy: Channel your inner Big Bird… but make it fashun. Cool girl Blair Eadie gets our vote with her bright orange monochrome ensemble.
Brit + Co Pick: Jakke Heather Mongolian Faux Fur Coat ($237): Winter will be way less miserable with this minty-hued Mongolian faux fur coat on standby. Just add Doc Martens for a look that commands attention day or night.
2. Bright: When the weather is less than delightful, reach for a Crayola-bright coat that spreads cheer wherever you go. Keep the festive mood going with metallic gold trousers and gilded booties.
Brit + Co Pick: Abercrombie & Fitch The A&F Dad Coat ($220): Meet the old-school coat you didn’t know you needed, but now won’t be able to live without. We’re here for the punchy red hue and relaxed fit.
3. It’s a Wrap: Lazy girls everywhere can officially let out a sigh of relief… easy wrap coats are here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Brit + Co Pick: Ganni McKinney Wool Tie Coat ($540): Update your roll-out-of-bed-and-go routine with a checkered tie-waist coat. This bad boy boasts oodles of layering potential.
4. Camel Coat: An OG camel coat cannot be dethroned. It’s a forever classic that only gets better with time. Bring the ubiquitous style into 2019 with a cropped hoodie and trainers.
Brit + Co Pick: Esprit Tailored Car Coat ($204): Incorporate more neutrals into your Scandi-inspired wardrobe. Behold, a boardroom-ready car coat that goes with err’thang (off-duty kicks included).
5. Leopard Print: Get it, girl. This feisty feline-inspired print can’t be tamed — especially with a red beret and high-waisted mom jeans anchoring your look.
Brit + Co Pick: Apparis Margot Faux Fur Coat ($280): Channel your inner Fran Drescher with Apparis’ faux fur leopard print coat for instant post-five o’clock flair.
6. Heritage Check: Glen plaid-inspired checks, we see you. If you only invest in one outer layer this winter, make it a transitional herringbone or houndstooth blazer that works its magic around the clock.
Brit + Co Pick: & Other Stories A-Line Wool Blend Belted Coat ($249): A signature heritage check coat is exactly what the doc ordered for a hint of French girl insouciance. Tousled hair (and a toasty turtleneck) are a bonus.
7. Leather Trench: Tartan on the jeans, trench with the fur. The season’s updated leather trench commands attention.
Brit + Co Pick: Pixie Market Brown Leather Trench Coat ($294): Between the waist-cinching belt and faux shearling collar, what’s NOT to love about this deep mocha-hued vegan trench?
8. Teddy: It girls everywhere are embracing the hygge lifestyle one teddy bear cover-up at a time — and we can see why. This must-have comes in a variety of cuts and colors, and helllooo, it’ll double as your own personal space heater.
Brit + Co Pick: Madewell Bonded Fleece Cocoon Coat ($138): This crazy cozy cocoon coat from Madewell will *actually* make getting out of bed in the morning that much more bearable. It’s that soft.
Cropped: Marvelous, dahling. For a hint of Old Hollywood glamour, a hip-length jacket with a ladylike silhouette is the way to go.
Brit + Co Pick: Reformation Templeton Coat ($288): Cropped and ready to mingle, Reformation’s Templeton coat is as fête-worthy as it gets.
10. Puffer: Power puff season is in full swing. This street starlet serves up a major lewk with her red puffer, slate gray trousers, trend-right slingbacks, and Prada fanny.
Brit + Co Pick: Tna The Super Puff Goose-Down Puffer Jacket ($228): Hit the slopes in style with this best-seller and a vintage fair isle sweater, and you’ll be equipped for every après ski situation that comes your way.
11. Statement-Making: Fashion police (and blustery temps), be damned. Go big or go home with a winter coat that does ALL the talking. Side note: Orange you glad for faux fur sleeves?
Brit + Co Pick: Topshop Check Coat ($180): Run, don’t walk, to snag this Cher Horowitz-worthy coat featuring an eccentric check print and detachable faux fur cuffs.
Which of these street MVP-approved outerwear trends will you be test-driving in the new year? Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co. may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.