At Brit + Co, we don’t just make cakes — we make the best cakes. And a birthday is no time to stop that tradition. We take the traditional vanilla cake with sprinkles to new heights with the addition of cheeky mini-alphabet sugar cookies and sugar cookie frosting. Keep reading for the full tutorial.
– 2 boxes Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Cake Mix + required ingredients
– 2 jars Miss Jones Organic Vanilla Frosting
– 1/4 cup colorful sprinkles
– Sprinkle sugar cookies in alphabet shapes + 2 cups crumbled cookies (we used this recipe from Alton Brown)
– 1 cup royal icing (we used this recipe from Joy of Baking)
1. Follow the cake mix directions and divide batter between three pans. Bake according to package directions and let cakes cool completely before frosting.
2. Finely crumble sugar cookies into a medium bowl until you have about two cups. Reserve one cup of frosting and spoon the remaining frosting into the bowl with the sugar cookies. Mix until well combined. Add in 2 tablespoons sprinkles and gently stir to combine.
3. Place a cake layer on a serving plate and top with sugar cookie frosting. Repeat with remaining two layers, leaving the top unfrosted.
4. Cover the top cake layer with a thick layer of plain frosting and the sides of the cake with a very thin layer of plain frosting.
5. Use a star tip to pipe a pattern around the top edge of the cake. Top with sugar cookies and sprinkle crumbs around the bottom the cake.
Now let’s get started!
Begin by gathering your ingredients.
Make cake batter according to directions and divide evenly between three pans. Bake and let cool completely (we recommend freezing the layers for an hour or so to make them easier to frost).
While the cake is cooling, it’s time to make your sugar cookies.
Make dough according to Alton’s recipe and roll out on wax paper sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Cut desired “message” shapes from cookie dough (we used mini alphabet cookie cutters to create “Happy Birthday”). Then use another large cookie cutter to cut shapes out of the remaining dough (you’ll crumble these large shapes into the frosting). Bake cookies at 375 degrees F for 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool completely.
Make royal icing according to the Joy of Baking recipe. Pipe frosting onto each cookie and dip in sprinkles.
Tadaa! Now you have the prettiest homemade sugar cookies around!
Reserve one cup of frosting and set aside. Place remaining frosting in a medium-sized bowl and add in crumbled sugar cookies; mix until well combined. Add in two tablespoons sprinkles and gently stir to combine.
Place one cake layer on a serving plate and top with frosting. Repeat with remaining two layers, leaving the top unfrosted.
Cover the top layer with a thick layer of plain frosting and the sides of the cake with a very thin layer of plain frosting.
Use a star tip to pipe a pattern around the top edge of the cake. Top with sugar cookies and sprinkle crumbs around the bottom the cake.
And there you have it — one mouth-watering birthday cake!
What are your favorite cake recipes? Let us know in the comments section below!