11 Cool-Girl Moves to Take Your Wedding Day Style to the Next Level
Your style slays 365 days of the year, and your wedding day should be no different — your outfit is basically the centerpiece of the whole thing, after all. It’s easy to get caught up in tradition with your Insta, Facebook and Pinterest feeds overflowing with gorgeous lace dresses, flirty flower crowns, beautiful ball gowns and, of course, the iconic bridal something blue. But if you’re the type that likes to break the mold when it comes to sartorial matters (read: You’re wearing a colorful, non-traditional wedding dress), the expected simply won’t do. Give your social media circle something to buzz about with these fashion-forward ideas guaranteed to take your bridal style to the next level.
1. Rock an unexpected coverup. You’re always hearing editors, bloggers and It girls rambling on about how to mix high and low pieces successfully. While striking the right balance of designer duds and high street scores might not be one of your biggest sartorial concerns, this is one instance where it definitely applies. Weave casual, ready-to-wear pieces — like a leather jacket, wooly poncho or cape blazer — into your fancy, formal ensemble to instantly up your fashion cred.
2. Keep it short and sweet. A long sweeping gown might be classic, but it’s definitely not mandatory. Tea-length dresses are anything but short on style (see what we did there?), and they cut things like bustling and tripping over hems out of the equation. The best part? They’re dance-floor ready — essential, because busting a move is what you do best.
3. Invest in a killer clutch. When it comes to accessorizing on your wedding day, shoes and jewelry get all the love — but you totes need a chic way to tote all your reception essentials. Your trusty clutch sees you through GNO, lively fetes and dinner dates with bae, and an upgraded version is definitely in order for your impending nuptials. Use your hand-held sac to take your look in a totally different direction for the reception by embracing funky shapes, bright color and lots of glitz.
4. Look beyond the veil. Nothing says bridal quite like a veil, but a statement-making headpiece can really set your look apart. The right topper can instantly take an ethereal organza gown or ladylike lace number into goddess territory — and who doesn’t love that? Case in point: this star-studded sparkler. If you’re not feelin’ the glitz, try oversized florals or a gilded wreath instead.
5. Ditch the dress. Sure, forgoing the traditional dress is a bold move, but you love keeping everyone on their toes. Besides, how fierce is this streamlined style? Flawless with a capital F is a given when you strut your stuff down the aisle in a jaw-dropping jumpsuit. Pair it with a bandeau birdcage veil as a nod to tradition, and add a dash of glamour with dazzling drop earrings.
6. Bring your back game. Low, open backs are big in bridal right now and downright DDG. Even without any extras, they bring the wow-factor to billowy ball gowns and boho crocheted sheaths alike. That said, there is one detail that you should definitely consider — a back necklace. It’ll up your gown’s allure in two seconds flat.
7. Make those smackers pop. Whether you’re a no-nonsense kinda gal or the type who feels naked without a full face of makeup, one thing’s for certain — a bold lip is the perfect way to add punch to your wedding day wardrobe. Even if the rest of your look reads timeless and classic, you can add depth and drama by simply playing with lip color. Instead of red, venture into new territory with vibrant shades of magenta and playful pink.
8. Step up your style. Glitter-flecked heels are gorgeous, but they don’t exactly break new sartorial ground. Opt for unexpected steppers to send your wedding day style into high gear, whether it’s a pair of casually cool sneakers, laser-cut ankle boots or artsy stilettos in high-octane colors.
9. Embrace bold baubles. Dainty jewelry just isn’t your style, and that’s totally okay. Dazzle ’em the second you step into the room with a glimmering ear crawler or cuff that flips the script on wedding day accessorizing. Statement earrings aren’t the only way to switch it up — layer on bold cuffs or a choker necklace for maximum impact. Get ready to send those wedding day double taps through the roof.
10. Play with color. There’s no rule that says you have to wear white on your wedding day, and in fact, it wasn’t even a thing until the 19th century (who knew Queen Victoria was such a trendsetter?). So if white just doesn’t speak to you, don’t sweat it. Bright color or flirty floral prints can still feel bridal, while letting you do you.
11. Ice your shoulders. Think outside the earrings-bracelet-necklace box, and jazz up a strapless dress with an unexpected and decidedly glam shoulder chain. Save it for the reception to switch up your style after saying your “I do’s” without a full-blown costume change.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.