10 Items From Zara’s Holiday Decor Line That You Can Totally DIY
While we love ourselves some Zara (like, really love Zara), we are women who like to get our hands dirty as well. And frankly, sometimes it’s much more affordable to DIY than it is to buy. As we were perusing the site’s new holiday decor line, we came across many products that would be so simple to make. In fact, if you got enough of the materials, you could probably make enough of these to keep for yourself and to give as hostess gifts, too. All for the cost of the real thing. Take a look at how we’d hack ’em.
1. Letter Christmas Bauble ($5): While this is rustic and lovely, we think we could make this ourselves by purchasing discount ornaments and hot gluing burlap around them. Then just tie with twine and hand stamp or hand letter the word of your choice on top.
2. Reindeer Christmas Ornaments ($17): This one would be simple to make. Just print out the holiday print of your choice and carefully place on the inside of a clear glass ornament. Then, just tie with red ribbon.
4. Jute Christmas Ornaments ($17): Wait. Do we even need to describe how you would make this one yourself? We’ll take our bets that you guys are smart enough to figure it out.
6. Wooden Twigs Candle Holder ($17): Another easy one. Find some thick sticks, spray paint them gold, sprinkle on some silver glitter, then glue together around a glass votive. Voila!
7. Felt Christmas Basket ($26): The thickness of the felt you use is important here. Once that’s sorted out, you can recreate this look by gluing or stitching a couple of pieces together. Then just sew on a big wooden button.
9. Felt Snowflake Placemat ($10): The hardest part of DIYing this one would be coming up with a good stencil to use. After that, just cut out your felt! (Note: try to use thick felt for a more durable placemat.)
10. Felt Star Christmas Coaster ($10): So cute and so easy to make! Just stencil a star, then cut out from felt. Easy peasy.
Hi, I'm Brit, the founder and CEO of Brit + Co. I'm a young mom of two, tech nerd and design-inclined lady who has a zillion hobbies and curious about... just about everything! My mission from the beginning has been to unlock women's creativity and courage to try new things so that they can find the path to their true passions.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)