11 Not-So-Basic Little Black Dresses
Ah, the little black dress; LBD for short. It’s our go-to outfit whenever a party, wedding, or even just a fancy dinner crops up on the calendar. While some like to keep their LBD lewk simple, others prefer a pick with a little flair, a little panache, a little bit of flourish that turns their LBD from dull to jaw-dropping with just a few extra details. If you never settle for the bare minimum, these eye-catching black dresses might make their way into your wardrobe.
1. Floral Embroidered Midi Dress ($40): Add a little romance to your look with this boho-inspired dress. It’s so versatile that you can wear it during the day, at parties, to dinner, or even to a casual summer wedding.
2. Nasty Gal Walk of Fame Star Dress ($50): Oh my. Looks like you and the glorious night sky came to this party in the same outfit. In all seriousness, you’re sure to look spectacular in this LBD adorned with stars.
3. Modcloth Chiffon Mini Dress with Embellished Collar ($30): It’s all in the details, honey. Below the shoulders, this dress is simple and clean, then you get an added bonus of glittery sequins on the collar. Pair it with sparkly shoes and you’re sure to shine.
4. Paiella Eyelet Dress ($168): Scalloped hems and eyelet lace make this little black dress a stunner for practically any occasion. Dress it up with colorful accessories and you have the quintessential summer evening outfit.
5. ASOS Design Mini Dress in Puff Print ($56): Not all LBDs have to be formal. You can still inspire all the attention-grabbing power of a party dress in this frock printed with feminine flowers for a more casual look.
6. BCBGeneration Women’s Racerback Cutout-Back Dress ($105): An otherwise drab dress looks downright fabulous when it has a few special details to make it pop, like strategic cut-outs and lace. It’s both alluring and modest at the same time.
7. Boohoo Plus Twist Front Kimono Sleeve Mini Dress ($35): Hey, you don’t need all of those bells and whistles to make your LBD stand out. This twist front gives this dress a little texture and draping for an effortless look.
8. Modcloth Folklore Embroidered Long Sleeve Dress ($105): Wearing this dress is like being in a fairytale. Embroidered and beaded floral details give it a touch of whimsy like you pulled it straight out of Snow White’s (very fashionable) closet.
9. ASOS Curve Mini T-Shirt Dress With Fringe Detail ($32): Some accoutrements are made for catching eyes — like fringe. From a distance, this may be a straightforward sheath, but up close it’s a flawless dance party dress.
10. Rebecca Taylor Women’s Lace and Chiffon Nailhead Dress ($275): Pleats, lace, nail-head grommets — this dress has it all.
11. Shoshanna Velvet Polka Dot Dress ($550): Sheer mesh turns this dress into an all-season staple. Even though it’s dotted with velvet, you can still twirl around at a wedding or cocktail party, no matter the weather.
Do you have any recommendations for LBDs with a little oomph? Share them with us on Twitter @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.