2016’s Trendiest Accent Decor Pieces to Buy or DIY
When it comes to revamping your home or workspace to feel more… 2016, accent decor should be a reflection of you. The question that most often comes up during a home makeover: Should you buy or DIY? When time is not on your side, it’s totally fine to go for the buy. But if you’ve got time, a need for a more personal touch and DIY fever (which is fairly contagious), consider crafting your own home decor. Here are the top 10 trendiest accent decor pieces of 2016 which you can choose to buy OR DIY.
1. Marquee Lights: Express yourself boldly with metal marquee lights that can be displayed between two photos of your favorite people or pets. It’s also the perfect nightlight for your bedroom or living room, when you want to revel in a softer glow. You could head to Target for the Metal Marquee Brass Framed Star ($30), or, to get the same look in a message that’s more personal, try this DIY bonjour metal marquee. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Storage Clothing Rack: Store your clothes in style and in plain sight, and let your closet hide away your rotation of off-season pieces. Put this rack in your bedroom for clothing storage or by the door for a coat rack station. This Urban Outfitters Industrial Storage Rack ($350) carries a hefty price tag, or you can save a little dough with this more minimalist DIY copper clothing rack. (via Bloglovin)
3. Concrete & Copper Pot: Copper and concrete accents are totally in this year! Metal Dust Studio offers a gorgeous Classic Concrete Pot ($28+) that’s perfect for a bedside table or a coffee table centerpiece. For DIYers who want a more personal touch, DIY these copper & concrete pots instead. Can’t look after a plant? Use the pot as a pen holder, jewelry or even a candle holder. (via Happy Looks Good on You)
4. Frame Shelving: Unique Frame shelving turns your basic accent decor into statement pieces. This unique framing and style is a must-try, and Metal Dust Studio has these gorgeous A-Frame Modern Shelves ($90), but a DIY will save you MAJOR bucks. Try adding a little color with this DIY modern hanging shelf. (via Brit + Co)
5. Statement Mirror: A stylish full-length mirror is the perfect statement for any home. Whether you snag the Anthropologie Lacquered Mirror ($498+) or try your hand at a DIY statement wood mirror, either piece will add elegance to any room by hanging on the wall or leaning against it. (via The Wood Grain Cottage)
6. Food Pillows: We love the concept of a funky fruit or dessert pillow, like with this Land of Nod Watermelon Pillow ($19). This foodie trend for pillows is becoming so popular that you can’t go shopping without spotting one. DIY your own favorite snack with this Donut Pillow DIY. Just make sure no one mistakes it for the real thing and gets a mouth full of pillow fluff. (via A Beautiful Mess)
7. Geometric Shapes: Metal geometric shapes are perfect for hanging, mounting or propping up on any counter or tabletop. Snag this Urban Outfitters Prisma Wall Decor set ($39) or save a few bucks with this copper plant hangers DIY. No matter where you style these in your home, they’re sure to add a unique touch to any space. (via Brit + Co)
8. Metal Accents: This sculptural piece of home furniture looks fabulous next to a sofa but can be placed in an unexpected area and topped with a plant or decorative item for an extra creative look. Find the Gold Metal End Table ($81) at Target, or DIY your own copper & concrete end table in copper. (via A Beautiful Mess)
9. Modern Lighting: Give your dining room, closet or den a pop of flair with modern lighting. These statements pieces will be the topic of conversation at your next gathering. This Mercury Row Globe Pendant is priced more fairly than most lighting fixtures ($149), but you can DIY a more classic look with this modern brass lighting DIY. (via Little Green Notebook)
10. Bar Carts: Bar carts are still one of the trendiest pieces in home decor, but don’t feel pressured to use this as a serving beverage station. Roll this Metal Bar Cart ($320) into your home and create something different and unique by using it as a beauty or office storage station. For more color and a personal touch, this copper + blue bar cart DIY will definitely get you the look for less. (via Tint & Bristles)
Are you planning on adding trending accent pieces to your home in the near future? What will you be buying? What will you DIY? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)