In with the old, out with the new. That’s the song we typically find ourselves singing when January 1 rolls around. But from what we’ve seen so far, 2017 is going to play itself out a little differently than years past. Let us enlighten you: A lot of what you’ll be seeing from here on out will — surprise — likely be a continuation of the fashion trends that dominated 2016. We’re talking exaggerated sleeves, punchy patches and pins, velvet and military chic essentials like structured jackets and all-khaki-everything. Chokers give way to mismatched earrings and athleisure will start to take on a slightly more sophisticated feel — at least if the Spring/Summer ’17 collections and the Pinterest 100 have anything to say about it. Already have some of these trends hanging in your closet? Congrats — you’re already way ahead of the curve. If not, make at least trying one your new year style resolution. Keep on reading for a list of what we’re predicting will be hot in 2017.
1. All ’80s Everything: & Other Stories Disco Blouse ($95): Shocking as it might be, we’re heading straight into ’80s territory for 2017. And while fashion didn’t exactly have its finest moments during the decade, it was only a matter of time before we turned our time machines back to the era that brought us strong shoulders, fanny packs and metallic everything. Say “no thanks” to neon and opt instead for Reagan-era glam a la this shimmery puff sleeve blouse that’ll put you in the spotlight.
2. Classic Denim:Topshop Moto Seam Detail Mom Jeans ($85): Skinny jeans continue to outsell every other denim style, but classic silhouettes are on the rise, with high waists, relaxed fits and light washes featuring frequently on the Insta feeds of street style stars the world over. Give your weekend uniform a RN boost by adding these raw-edged beauties to your lineup stat. Team ‘em up with an oversized cable knit, chic ankle boots and statement earrings for a casually cool look that’ll take you from day to night sans problème.
3. Mismatched + Multiple Earrings: Contour Amber Earrings ($226): Every It girl knows that statement jewelry is a game-changer, boasting the power to instantly elevate any ensemble in two seconds flat. And the latest twists on the forever trend are straight-up gold. Do like Rihanna or Chiara Ferragni by rocking multiple sparklers, or opt for a runway-approved aesthetic by doing the asymmetric thing, pairing up two mismatched styles. Either way, the result will be stunning.
4. Military Minimalism:Zara Floral Military Style Coat ($149): Designers said yes, please to fatigues for 2017, churning out ensemble after ensemble with undeniably military appeal. Shades of khaki and army green are guaranteed to be a part of your new year palette, while military jackets, army shirts and camo accents will find a way to infiltrate your everyday lineup. Own the trend on the job by swapping out a standard black blazer for this embroidered number for a weekly board meeting or an after-hours networking event.
5. Mules + Backless Kicks:Jeffrey Cambell Sarika ($90): Bow down. Sneakers most definitely made a statement in 2016, but it was the mule that really won over our hearts and closets. Flats, block heels and a variety of other interpretations of the backless style are slated to become even bigger in 2017. The sleek styling and effortless appeal will make these high-shine stunners the cornerstone of your footwear collection for months to come.
6. Loud Stripes:Staud the Ken Turtleneck ($215): Okay, so stripes never really go out of season, but the tried-and-true print is going bold — like REALLY bold — for 2017 and beyond. Pack up those tired Breton tops, because it’s time for technicolor stripes, larger than life lines and abstract interpretations to step into the limelight.
7. Statement Sleeves: Free People Bella Sweater Mini Dress ($148): Designers and your favorite brands have found a new way to transform an everyday detail — the sleeve — in a bona fide showpiece thanks to exaggerated silhouettes, embroidery, playful pleats, eye-catching embellishments and lace-up details. The trend started to gain traction in 2016, but we’re willing to bet statement sleeves are about to become your closet’s crowning jewel come January.
8. Vibrant Color: ASOS Bird & Floral Embroidered Shift Dress ($98): If the Spring/Summer ’17 runways are any indication, 2017 could be the year you finally overcome your fear of color and embrace a bold and bright palette. The catwalk was awash in vivid hues; plus, there’s Pantone’s Color of the Year — Greenery — to consider too. Start small by adding small pops of color to your #OOTD via a carefully chosen accessory. Once you’ve acclimatized to this new approach to dressing, go all-out with a chic shift dress in a shocking shade of spring green or a punchy yellow cocoon coat.
9. Graphic Tees: Unfortunate Portrait “Wintour de France” T-Shirt ($75): Calvin Klein may have put logo tees back on the map with his buzzy #mycalvins campaign, but we have a hunch that, moving forward, it’s band tees and thought-provoking graphics that will be taking your weekend uniform by storm this year.
10. Patches and Pins:H! By Henry Holland Color Block Shirt With Patches ($58): Step aside, monograms, personalized duds are about to get hella cool thanks to the resurgence of sassy patches and pins. Whether you deck out your denim jacket in colorful custom flair or trade out a classic button-down for one adorned in playful patches, you can’t go wrong. For a truly one-of-a-kind look, create a curated collection with pins from a variety of different labels — our picks? Coucou Suzette, Laser Kitten, Pintrill, Rosehound Apparel and No Fun Press.
11. Elegant Athleisure:Zara Velvet Jogging Trousers ($26): Athleisure went a little OTT in 2016, with Gigi Hadid and Vêtements taking the trend to all new lazy-girl heights. And we’re kind of over it. In 2017, we’ll be looking for ways to take our coziest duds in a classy new direction, teaming elevated joggers with elegant button-downs and blazers, and hoodies with tailored trousers and heels.
12. Statement Sneakers:Marc Jacobs Astor Lightning Bolt Sneakers ($282): Sneakers will continue to be the footwear of choice in the upcoming year, offering a laid-back edge to everything from floral maxis to pinstriped suiting. They’re incredibly versatile — and comfortable — earning them major brownie points with lazy girls and street style stars alike. Fresh white sneaks topped every fashionable femme’s must-have list in 2016, but swankier styles (think: satin, leather, animal print and glitter) are set to come out on top in the coming months.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.