As part of our Doodads for Dads feature, we've decided to delve into the world of iPad keyboards. That's right. iPad keyboards. To fellow 2.0ers the concept of a keyboard for your touchscreen tech might seem unnecessary, but being able to swiftly transform your tablet into a laptop is pretty awesome.
1. USB Typewriter ($699): First up, a serious example of digital meets analog, and the keyboard that inspired this post. This USB typewriter can hook up to your iPad, or any laptop. Keys that don't exist on typewriters (aka F1-F12, esc, ctrl) are available with a simple toggle key making it a fully functional computer keyboard.
2. Aluminum Bluetooth Keyboard Case ($27): On the other end of the spectrum, we have this rather bare bones aluminum keyboard case. It protects your iPad, and includes a keyboard. This is probably the most practical item here, but also matches seamlessly with other pieces of Apple tech.
3. Walnut Writing Center ($139): How gorgeous is this? We love the coupling of tech with handcrafted wooden objects, and this walnut writing center is no exception. You'll have to buy the keyboard separately, but we think it's worth it to be able to carry a beautiful mobile office wherever you go.
4. Typi Folio Case and Wireless Keyboard ($79): Soft felt, handcrafted leather, and muted tones. This cozy iPad case keeps your tech safe, and includes a removable keyboard. The keyboard stays in place with magnets for laptop-style use, can be detached for remote use, or can be left at home when you know you won't need a keyboard.
5. Hardwood Desktop Workstation ($89): Another installment of handcrafted analog love from Etsy, this workstation has a lovely antique aesthetic that can be both startling and comforting when paired with your iPad. This does not actually include a keyboard, but is fitted for Apple's standard Bluetooth variety.
6. Hatch & Co. Skinny Case ($75): Oh hey there fellow & Co. company! This case is super slim with a keyboard that connects via Bluetooth. The cover utilizes Smart Cover sensor technology, meaning it automatically wakes up your iPad or puts it to sleep when you open and close the case.
Bonus Round! Professional SynthStation Keyboard with iPad Dock ($269): Is this the kind of iPad keyboard you were looking for? Dock your iPad and channel your inner Mozart, Freddie Mercury, or Will Smith. ;)
What are your favorite iPad accessories? Let us know in the comments below or give us a shout on Twitter.