6 Non-Traditional Antiperspirants and Deodorants You Need to Beat the Heat This Summer
No one likes to feel self-conscious about sweating. But it’s hard to avoid when the summer heat is working against you. Wearing an antiperspirant can help keep your perspiration under control, but not all natural or chemical-free products are created equal. Antiperspirants plug your sweat glands to protect against wetness or perspiration. Deodorants, on the other hand, just cover odor — but don’t help with moisture. Keep reading for six must-haves that pair well with any lifestyle.
1. Kiehl’s Superbly Efficient Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant Cream ($16): For ladies with sensitive skin, this unscented, extremely gentle cream works as an antiperspirant and a deodorant to block odor thanks to micro-sized drying molecules. “It’s a good idea to avoid any product with fragrance in it, as fragrance increases your risk of an allergic reaction,” explains dermatologist Ava Shamban. Pro tip: Shamban recommends applying antiperspirant twice a day — in the morning right after you shower and right before bed. Who knew?
2. LUSH Aromaco Deodorant ($7): This unique deodorant comes with all its powerful ingredients packed into this adorable bar, rather than your typical roll-on, stick, or spray. It’s formulated with bacteria-fighting witch hazel and chamomile vinegar to tighten pores and soothe skin.
3. Tarte Clean Queen Vegan Deodorant ($14): When you transition to a new, natural deodorant, it’s important to note that your smell may be a little, uh, off while your skin adjusts. This vegan option was created without harsh ingredients like aluminum or alcohol, making it safe for even the most sensitive skin.
4. MILK MAKEUP Natural Deodorant ($14): With zero traces of aluminum, this stick combats smell and uses lavender oil to nourish and smooth the sensitive skin around your armpits. You’ll also love that it’s paraben-free and eco-conscious.
5. Schmidt’s Naturals Coconut Pineapple ($11): Perk up your pits with the truly tropical scent in this vegan and gluten-free natural deodorant that relies on magnesium to combat odor and arrowroot powder to keep you dry.
6. Humane Benzoyl Peroxide 10% Acne Treatment Body & Face Wash ($48): If an antiperspirant just isn’t completely solving the problem, try adding in this smart option into your beauty regimen. Shamban explains that bacteria is what causes odor, so using a benzoyl peroxide wash like this will reduce the bacteria count and fight off unwanted summer funk. Problem solved! But note: This product is rather aggressive, so you might want to avoid it if you have sensitive skin.
Tweet us your favorite antiperspirants and deodorants @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.