20 Braided Updos That Are Fire for Fall
The past few weeks have been full of the back-to-school (for some) and back-to-fall (for others) shopping rush. They’ve also been filled with hours spent scouring Pinterest and Instagram searching for the perfect autumnal hairstyles — we’ve got a sartorial rep to protect, y’know. With summer winding down and the weather soon cooling off, we’re taking time during transitioning temps to test out some new ‘dos. One style that’s already quickly gaining steam is the braided updo. From braid crowns to high ponies, getting your hair off your shoulders and into a plait is so RN. Ready to experiment with fall hair? Scroll through these #InstaBraids for instant inspiration.
1. Messy Pony-Braid: A stunning look for when you want to braid your hair without it looking too polished, this boho ‘do works with the grit and texture of your hair. In fact, we think this type of braid actually looks better when you miss a couple pieces or leave your baby hairs out.
2. Crown Braid with Hoops: A simple crown braid is great and all, but adding in some cool embellishments like these little hoops instantly this look to the next level. The hoops bring an edgy, cool girl vibe to this sweet, on-trend hairstyle.
3. Clip-In Extensions: One way to elevate an ordinary braided style is with colored extensions. Perfect for the girl who isn’t ready to commit to permanent color, these extensions look great in braids and can easily be taken out at the end of the night. Get creative with the colors!
4. Proper and Polished: Elegance is the first thing we think of when we see a ‘do like this. Whether you’re heading to a work event, a wedding, or out for the holidays, this updo is simple and very put together. The braided accent gives it some chic flair.
5. Bohemian Romantic Bun: We adore this low bun because of its gritty texture — it makes it look romantic and bohemian at the same time. Add on a flower crown with this look, and you’ll instantly unleash your inner festival goddess.
6. Braided Pony: Recreate this warrior-like updo by creating a large, loose braid from a high pony. Who said your everyday style couldn’t get an upgrade?
7. Braided Chignon: We love the chignon for an easy office-ready ‘do, but we’re majorly swooning over the braided version. To try it, bring two side braids together, leaving the center section of your hair free. With the loose hair, create two braids that are smaller in width. Crisscross your side braids and secure with a pin. Then, take your smaller center braids and wrap around the larger ones. Trust us, this look is magic.
8. Wedding Updo: The braided updo is typically reserved for bridal or wedding guest hairstyles, because it instantly adds romance. Opt for a messier look by weaving a single braid into a sea of twists and curls.
9. Rainbow Wraparounds: When it comes to matters of dress and hair, wraparound looks never go out of style. Create this ‘do by plaiting your hair into big, loose braids and wrapping them around your head. Add a couple of tiny, tight ones too for a bit of contrast.
10. Colorful Side Braid: For the braider who’s tried it all, it might be time to go for a bold new color. Consider dyeing your strands this deep sea blue to step up your plait game. Not ready to commit? Go for a temporary box dye to test the waters.
11. French Braided Bun: Want a more polished braided look? Try this intricately woven French braided bun for an HR-friendly style. French braid your hair from the front, work backward until you’ve braided all your hair and then wrap the bottom part of the braid around itself. Secure the look with bobby pins.
12. Braided Fringe: Don’t worry about trimming your overgrown summer bangs. Use the extra fringe to your advantage by braiding it and pinning it to the side of your head. The style looks stellar with a bun or a down ‘do. Add an accessory like a bandana to further embrace your inner Rosie the Riveter.
13. Upside Down Braided Sock Bun: We admit it — we were big into the sock bun back in 2013. And we’re more than happy to welcome it back into our lives. Switch up this polished, lazy girl-approved ‘do by braiding from the nape of the neck upwards. It might take some practice, but for this look, it’s worth it.
14. Triple Fishtail: Just when we think plaits can’t get any more inventive… they do. This triple fishtail braid gives new life to the classic poolside style.
15. Cornrow Bun: This cornrow bun manages to strike a balance between edgy and girly. Wear it to a kickboxing class or cocktails with your crew. Get your edges laid by using a dime-sized amount of gel and a bristle brush.
16. Messy Braided Ponytail: Kirsten Zellers, the reigning hair queen on Instagram and in our hearts, is rocking purple and gray locks — and we can’t get enough. Thick-haired ladies, follow Kirsten’s lead by creating a big, loose braid on one side of your head, then gather it into a messy ponytail.
17. Double Halo Braid: Pretty Little Liars actress Shay Mitchell has been on top of the latest hair trends, with an Instagram full of hair snaps we can’t wait to copycat. Her double halo braid is legit fire. Pro tip: Leave some wispy hairs out near the front of your face for a more romantic and natural feel.
18. Fishtail Halo: Emma Roberts’ low fishtail updo might be the only style you need to rock this fall. Perfect for nighttime nuptials or a casual day in the park, this ‘do does it all.
19. Messy Braided Side Bun: The great thing about braids is that they leave room for us to be messy, but still look good while doing so. Alternate between twists and large braids to recreate this big messy side bun.
20. Tuck & Roll: Braid lover and blogger Annie is inspiring us to keep experimenting with woven styles. Sure, you can try to emulate the ‘dos listed above, but what truly makes an awesome braided updo is originality. We’ve never seen a tuck and roll look quite like this one. What braided styles can you dream up?
Follow us on Pinterest for more hair inspo!