20 Ultra Chic Basics to Upgrade Your Everyday Wardrobe
Parting ways with tried-and-true closet basics is kind of out of the question. From plain white tees to those perfectly worn-in pair of jeans, these are the building blocks on which your impeccable wardrobe is built — so why mess with a good thing? Because updating your most-loved pieces is the easiest way to send your spring style into overdrive while getting the most bang for your buck (we’ve got your back, girl). They can hang with just about everything in your closet and instantly make that bangin’ blouse you bought five years ago or a pair of classic trousers feel brand new. Another bonus? They have no expiration date, meaning they’ll stick around from season to season — big news for your wallet. This season, look to separates and accessories with boho chic and It-girl edge — saddle bags, cold-shoulder everything and cute flatform clogs — to give your arsenal of closet essentials runway-ready appeal. Read on for the 20 right-now basics that are about to take your wardrobe by storm.
1. ASOS Denim Girlfriend Jacket in Washed Red ($65): No spring or summer wardrobe is complete without a trusty denim jacket on hand. Swap out your old-school style for this red-hot number that’s ready to jazz up everything from simple tees to flirty floral sun dresses (and don’t even get us started on all those double denim opportunities). You’ll be glad you did.
2. Nasty Gal Ruffle Butter Sleeveless Top ($58): Standard button-downs don’t have anything on this flouncy ruffle top. The subtle stripes and off-the-shoulder-esque detailing are guaranteed to banish the Monday blahs for good when you style them alongside your work-week best. Opt for menswear-inspired kicks to give your getup a cool girl-meets-boy contrast.
3. Maeve Lilt Swing Dress ($118): New season, new LBD. Your fave wear-anywhere dress gets a “makeunder” this season with a swingy silhouette and dreamy star print that feels right on cue for backyard bashes and lazy afternoons in the park. Team it with cute clogs and beach babe waves for an #OOTD-approved look.
4. Free People Poolside Rimless Sunnies ($38): Because every season needs a sick new pair of shades (likely because your fave pair was sat on or disappeared… you know how it goes), look to these rounded stunners to inject an instant dose of effortless cool into any outfit.
5. Mother Denim Maverick Cuff Jeans ($235): ICYMI: Cropped flares are officially a thing, and if you haven’t put your skinny jeans into storage just yet, this tonal pair will send ’em packing. Whether you pair them with a slinky silk cami for drinks with the girls or a kimono and button-down top for casual Friday at the office, the styling opportunities are endless.
6. J.Crew Collection Featherweight Cashmere Tipped Pocket T-Shirt ($188): A tee that takes on transitional dressing like a boss? Don’t mind if we do. Dress it up with a swishy skirt for afternoon tea or kick it casual style with relaxed-fit jeans and slide-on sandals.
7. Free People Front-to-Back Necklace ($118): Blaze new sartorial trails by opting out of the trendy choker and jazzing up a back-bearing top with a striking back necklace instead. The best part? This bad boy can be worn two ways, making it essential for any capsule wardrobe.
8. The Ragged Priest Cut Out Double Layer T-Shirt Dress ($73): Cold-shoulder tops just got cooler thanks to this doubled-up number that will flip the script on GNO dressing, like whoa. Poppin’ pink lipstick and statement heels pull it all together for an after-hours look that will straight-up slay.
9. Zara Printed Palazzo Trousers ($70): It’s hard enough to get out of bed in the morning without taking the whole getting dressed thing into consideration. Trade out tailored trousers for these free-wheelin’ pants once Monday rolls around and you won’t mind that too-early alarm one bit (well, almost).
10. Knobbly Studio 120 Degrees Cuff ($120): This streamlined cuff cuts through closet fatigue like a boss, making it right on cue for the onset of spring. Whether you wear it alone or use it as the base for a killer arm party, it won’t disappoint.
11. Mango Metallic Trench ($100): Say sayonara to that tired trench, because this swoon-inducing topper wants to change the way you cover up. Rock it with raw-edge denim and amped-up ankle boots for a toss-on-and-go look that reads effortlessly chic. Don’t-care hair is obligatory.
12. Keepsake No Secrets Dress ($250): Lots of weddings and special events on your spring to-do list? Try this floral A-line on for size. It’ll take you from backyard blowouts to elegant garden soirees with little to no effort; simply switch out flats for strappy sandals, throw in a few sleek baubles and you’re ready to go.
13. Swedish Hasbeens Krillan Clogs ($249): Who needs classic pumps when you have sassy steppers like these on your side? They’re killer with flowy boho dresses and distressed overalls alike, and you’ll find any occasion to bust ’em out. Fringe-flecked anything (we love a good bucket bag) is highly encouraged.
14. Forever21 Belted Faux Suede Jacket ($43): Whether you’re looking to step up your suede game or you haven’t hopped onto that bandwagon just yet — you’ll definitely want to throw this suave jacket into the mix. Zip-front skirts and platform kicks are perfect for playing up its disco-era appeal, or show off your sporty side by styling it alongside Stan Smiths and retro athletic tees.
15. Donni Charm Bandana Scarf ($68): This underrated accessory has both French-girl cool and prairie chic in the bag. Toughen it up with a leather jacket and winged eyeliner, or play up its free-spirited feel with an embroidered peasant top.
16. COS Speckled Denim Trouser Skirt ($99): Denim at the office just became a reality thanks to these HR-approved chambray pants. The clean lines and classic aesthetic have #girlboss written all over them, especially when teamed with an architectural top and modern mules.
17. H&M Beaded Jacket ($129): Blazers? Boooring. Jazz up simple shifts and office separates in seconds with this embroidered beauty. Glitzy beads and funky pom-poms give way to a sophisticated silhouette that proves that office-appropriate doesn’t have to mean mundane.
18. Cuyana Saddle Bag ($295): A killer outfit is the ultimate remedy for just about anything, and a trend-right bag definitely factors into the equation. This sleek saddle bag will have you feeling fine in no time — just add a swipe of red lipstick, then go take on the day.
19. Veda Drift Silk Tank Light Space Stripe ($235): Basic camis? No thanks. This season is all about bold stripes and understated silhouettes that fuse minimalist and scene-stealing style. Tuck it into button-front skirts or pair it with high-waisted shorts when your go-to Breton stripes start to feel meh.
20. Urban Outfitters Denim Espadrille Slides ($49): Once the warm weather hits, ditch those ballet flats for slide-on sandals that are all about keepin’ it real. Take a cue from its no-fuss feel and pair it with a striped shirt dress and minimalist baubles in funky geometric shapes.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.