Flatforms Are the “Ugly” Shoes You’ll Totally Wear All Spring
The ugly-pretty style trend isn’t going anywhere, people, so it’s time to bite the bullet and finally embrace it. And if you’ve been rocking menswear-inspired shoes and wedge boots all winter long, transitioning the oddly alluring style into the new season should feel like an effortless exercise, especially if you still have a pair of Birkenstocks, slides or Tevas kickin’ around from last summer. Flatforms have been dubbed the undisputed silhouette of choice among a sea of on-point, trendy spring shoes, so if your capsule wardrobe doesn’t include a pair yet, you’ll want to get on that stat. And just in case you’re short on time, we’ve gone ahead and pulled together 19 unpretty steppers that will steal your heart.
1. ASOS Together Pom Pom Wedge Sandals ($77): Colorful poms? Don’t mind if we do! Beach vacays and city cruisin’ are about to get a lot more interesting with these spirited steppers in tow. Toss ’em on with denim culottes and an off-the-shoulder top for an anytime-appropriate ensemble you’ll come back to again and again.
2. Zara Wedges With Crossover Straps ($70): It’s a wedge world, and you’re just living in it — so embrace it. Strap these statement flatforms on with cropped flares and an open-jacquard weave jacket for a look that reads free-spirited fabulous. Fringe-flecked saddle bags and statement cuffs are highly encouraged.
3. H&M Metallic Finish Platform Shoes ($50): Flatforms at the office are totally a thing when you have these glistening gold oxfords on your side. They’ll look rad with pleated midi dresses and tailored suits alike, so the styling options are endless.
4. Paul Smith Bennet Leather Platform Sandals ($268): Got a few extra bucks in your spring style budget? Snag these bad boys right here. You’ll be saying sayonara to your go-to night-out pumps stat, because these deliver serious comfort on top of that wow-factor. And did we mention they’re dance floor ready?
5. Intentionally Blank Dansk Platform ($172): If taking double denim to the next level is on your to-do list, look no further than these chambray stompers with retro-femme appeal. Floral dresses and cigarette trousers will never be the same.
6. Lien.Do by Seychelles Buenavista Slides ($118): Ditch those flip-flops, girl, and work these sassy slides into your capsule wardrobe instead. Get your cozy-girl fix during the work week by sneaking them into your swankiest office attire, then watch as the compliments roll in.
7. Kensie Boston Flatform Sandal ($79): Poolside lounging and Sunday morning brunching command sandals with infinite panache. The cool blue hue and clean lines are understated enough to go with everything in your closet, while still serving up a serious dose of street-style appeal.
8. Mango Platform Ankle Cuff Sandals ($70): These citrusy sandals take a go-big-or-go-home approach to dressing. Whip ’em out on Wednesdays when the work-week blahs start to set in, or style ’em up with a flirty midi dress at your next spring wedding or event.
9. ASOS Founded Studded Sliders ($43): Hey there, stud. Prepare to see these It-girl-approved sandals everywhere this spring and summer. Team them with a leather jacket, ditsy floral romper and punchy pink lips for casual coffee dates and flea market perusing.
10. Teva Flatform Sandal ($50): Like the classic, only better. An amped-up heel and neon hues send this sporty sandal into runway-ready territory. Pair ’em with socks and ribbed midi skirts when temps take a dip, then whip out the denim skirts and ’70s-inspired tees when balmy weather is back in full swing for a look that toes the line between retro sports chic and ’90s fashion goddess.
11. Vagabond Noor Flatform ($130): Fusing two of spring’s most sought-after styles — mules and flatforms — these suede beauties swoop in for the sartorial win. Crochet dresses and psychedelic sunnies are definitely in order.
12. Steve Madden Nile Rose Gold Wooden Wedge Sandals ($117): Unleash your inner glam goddess with sleek rose gold platforms that are ready to take on gallery openings and outdoor food markets alike. Give your LBD a modern makeover by throwing these stunners and funky eye makeup into the mix.
13. Zara Leather Platform Loafers ($90): Meet the shoe that’s about to take your on-the-clock wardrobe by storm: the platform loafer. Equal parts sophisticated and trend-setting, they straight-up slay when styled alongside structured culottes and sleeveless blazers. Go ahead; you know you wanna.
14. Faryl Robin + Free People Vegan Milly Platform Sandals ($128): These aren’t your average espadrilles. With their laid-back rope bottoms and denim ankle straps, these boho kicks put the perfect finishing touch on breezy Grecian dresses and utility jackets. One word: Swoon.
15. Charles & Keith Espadrille Flatform Slip-Ons ($39): These no-fuss flatforms are proof that slides can totally do sophisticated. Swap these babies in for your fave high heels for dinner with bae — you’ll get the boost you want without the risk of toppling over (they’re cobblestone friendly!).
16. 67 Collection Jurun Sneakers ($60): Your morning commute is about to get hella stylish thanks to these snakeskin-inspired sneakers. The lightweight style makes racing to the bus stop and sliding between those closing metro doors an effortless exercise, while the exotic uppers will keep those side glances (you know what we’re talking about) at bay.
17. Mango Tropical Print Espadrilles ($80): Embrace some of that spring spirit with tropical print espadrilles that will have you dreaming of lazy beach days and fruity umbrella drinks. Bring out their playful yellow and green hues by going monochromatic with the rest of your getup. Eye-catching extras like bright statement earrings and graphic scarves FTW.
18. ASOS Dark Moon Drenched Flatform Sneakers ($43): With joggers, these comfy street shoes serve up undeniable athleisure appeal, but they can clean up really nicely too. Take a cue from the playful bow detail and take them for a spin with an off-the-shoulder romper and bolo wrap necklace.
19. Zara Cork and Leather Wedges ($90): Throwback aficionados, eat your hearts out! These cool cork platforms are what your flares and flowy boho dresses have been waiting for. Up your style cred by teaming them with a chambray jumpsuit and half-moon clutch for a night out on the town.
Follow us on Pinterest for more spring style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.