10 Must-Have Thanksgiving Books (+ Chronicle Giveaway!)
Believe it or not, Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Even though many of us are still trying to decide on the perfect Halloween costume, we’re kicking off our Turkey Day prep today! We’ve teamed up with Chronicle Books to bring you ten must-have books for your Thanksgiving festivities. We’ve got five cookbooks guaranteed to inspire the ultimate feast and five craft books filled with ideas for DIY tabletop decor, gifts for your guests, and more. Oh, and did we mention that one lucky reader will take home ALL of the books in this roundup? You can thank us later. Read on for more!
1. The Model Bakery Cookbook ($35): The Model Bakery has been a culinary mainstay in St. Helena, CA for close to 90 years. And if you’re wondering, we will gladly drive to Wine Country just to snag a few of their famed English Muffins. We were more than excited when they decided to release their new cookbook in September, just in time for Thanksgiving! Now, we can whip up their Brandied Pumpkin Pie, Toasted Walnut and Sage Bread, Apricot-Pecan Scones, and more for all of our holiday celebrations. Score!
2. Crackers & Dips ($20): Appetizers are a must-have for any holiday gathering. The easiest way to take them up a notch? Homemade crackers! This book is filled with more than 50 recipes for crackers and dips. Seeded Quinoa Crackers? Za’atar-Dusted Pita Chips? Swedish Caraway Rye Crisps? It’s official. We’re never buying store-bought crackers again. Ever.
3. Sunday Roasts ($25): Who says you have to eat turkey on Thanksgiving? Spice things up with a Pepper-Crusted Sirloin Roast, Orange-Scented Pork Roast, or Sesame-Crusted Tuna Steaks. If you’re set on sticking to tradition, the “Never Fail” Roast Turkey with Shallot Pan Gravy is sure to satisfy. Bonus: This book does double-duty for Christmas prep!
4. Southern Pies ($23): No Thanksgiving feast is complete with a pie or two (or three… or four). Love the classics? McDermott’s recipes for Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie, and Sweet Potato Pie are foolproof. Looking for something out of the ordinary? Try the Blue Grass Cranberry Pie or the Creole Coconut Pie.
5. Cocktails for a Crowd ($19): You didn’t think we’d leave you without some cocktail inspiration, did you?! With more than 40 recipes for boozy entertaining, it’s no surprise that this is quickly becoming one of our favorite books. From Spiked Apple Cider and Southern Milk Punch to a classic Negroni or Martini, there’s something for everyone in Kara Newman’s Cocktails. Holiday bartending will never be the same.
6. Sewing for All Seasons ($25): Ready to get stitching? This book is filled with 24 projects to keep you sewing throughout the year. Susan’s cozy wool scarf, patchwork potholders, and coffee cup cozies are just a few of the highlights for fall. Her tutorials are easy to follow and there are templates and patterns galore. Plus, we’re sure your Thanksgiving guests would be more than thrilled with their own personal cozies.
7. Pretty Paper Parties ($20): It’s time to par-DIY! You’ll find pretty patterned paper, ready-to-cut templates, and step-by-step instructions in this book. What should you make for your holiday festivities? Craft garlands, cupcake toppers, bunting (our favorite), photo booth props (ah-mazing), and more. Win.
8. Knitting by Design ($25): Have you always wanted to try your hand at knitting? This book is the place to start! Thanks to Emma’s hand-drawn sketches and crystal clear instructions, you’ll be knitting multicolored cardigans, mittens (fun party favor idea), and pom-pom beanies in no time. Oh, and the photography is stunning.
9. Sweet Paper Crafts ($20): Brighten up your Thanksgiving with more party projects! You can make creative place settings, party poppers, package toppers, and more with Greene’s step-by-step photographs and instructions. Or, DIY some fun gift bags and send all your guests away with leftover treats. Sweet!
10. Happy Home ($28): Don’t forget about your Thanksgiving tablescape! Our suggestion? Get out your sewing basket and wow your guests with a handmade party tablecloth and napkins. Or, feel free to stitch up some personalized aprons for the cooks in the kitchen. You’ll find instructions for all of the above (and more!) in Happy Home.
Now, what about that contest? One lucky reader will win all of the books from this post! Here’s how to enter the giveaway: All you have to do is submit your email address in the form below and you’ll be entered to win.
Submitting your email address also means you’ll be subscribing to the Brit + Co. newsletter (if you’re not already subscribed) and the Chronicle Books newsletter. This giveaway closes at 11:59pm on Monday, November 4th. As always, the winner will be chosen at random. Full contest terms here.
What are some of your must-have Thanksgiving books? Talk to us in the comments below!