For many of us, 2016 was a doozy, but we here at Brit + Co are ready to hit refresh in 2017! Follow our Hit Refresh series through January for new ideas, hacks and skills that will help you achieve (and maintain!) those New Year’s resolutions.
Sure, we know winter can be a tough time to stay motivated to hit the gym and keep your workouts going. We want to go (duh), but chilly temps can keep us indoors craving unicorn hot chocolate and/or a bottle of red wine. But we’ve found a solution, a motivator to get you out of bed and put the dumbbells back in hand, and it may not be what you expect… it’s cuffing season, ladies.
You know what we’re talking about: When single individuals couple up just for the winter months, because you know, it’s cold and gross out. And while it might be tempting to stay in and bundle up with your new bae, Reebok trainer Kenny Santucci, who coaches at Solace New York, has another thing in mind. He’s programmed three partner workouts that he guarantees will bring you and your cuffing mate closer while also getting you both in shape before single season is back. Grab your boo and your dumbbells — it’s time to get to work.
1. Partner A holds a hand plank. Position your body similar to how you would when in the top of a pushup. Hands should be planted on the ground directly below your shoulders, and butt should be in line with your shoulders.
2. Partner B does a burpee, jumping over Partner A in the process. Jump down into the bottom of a pushup, jump your feet forward into a squat with your hands on the ground, jump to a standing position and clap overheard.
3. Partner Adrops to a forearm plank. Position your body similar to how you would when in the top of a pushup. Forearms should be planted on the ground directly below your shoulders, and butt should be in line with your shoulders.
4. Partner Bbegins their second burpee back over Partner A. Perform 10 burpees.
5. Switch. Do this for five rounds each.
1. Partner A holds a handstand. Stand in front of a wall, then kick up so your feet are planted against the wall and hold that position.
2. Partner Bdoes 20 pushups.
4. Repeat this with 15 reps each the following round, then 10 reps each, then 5 reps each.
1. Partner A and Partner B together perform 50 air squats and 20 partner-assisted pistols. For the pistols: Partners hold hands. One partner puts one of their legs in the air and squats down with the leg remaining up, while the other partner holds still, providing extra support so the person moving up and down doing the pistol does not fall.
2. Partner A and Partner B together perform 30 partner-assisted pullups. One partner grips the bar in a pullup position, while the other stands below/behind them ready to grab their legs. The partner doing the pullup pulls himself/herself up while the assisting partner provides the extra strength to get the chin over the bar.
3. Repeat the workout in its entirety two more times.
Tag us in your partner workouts @BritandCo!
(GIFs via Reebok)