Perfecting your complexion can be pricy. The latest answer to fine lines and loss of elasticity comes in the form of the slightly scary, albeit effective, micro-needling trend. Luckily, there’s a less costly version of the procedure that you can do at home — using a derma roller tool. Similar to a micro-needling treatment in a doctor’s office, these tools puncture microscopic holes in the skin (it feels a bit like pricking, and doesn’t cause any pain or major discomfort) that heal quickly. In the process, it reboots skin with collagen and elastin. “Using a derma roller two to three times a week will eventually give you fewer wrinkles, increased skin tone, and overall firmer-looking skin,” says Dr. Mark Gray, dermatologist and founder of Ao Skincare. We admit that even the thought of willingly pushing tiny needles into our face makes us a bit squeamish, but in the name of flawless skin, we’re in. Here are six derma rollers that will put you on the path to smoother skin.
1. Beauty Bioscience GloPRO Pack N’ Glo Essentials Set ($279): This hi-tech tool delivers LED light therapy with microfine needles. The two work together to create tiny channels that allow for better penetration of skincare creams and serums as well as stimulate collagen to produce a firmer, smoother look over time. One study found that using this device on the wrinkles between the nose and mouth lessened them by an average of 29 percent in just 30 days.
2. ORA Electric Microneedle Derma Pen System ($82): You don’t need to put in much muscle for this pen-sized, electric roller; it has five speed settings and produces precise needle strokes that are faster than a traditional option. Plus, the adjustable needle head (ranging from 0.25mm to 2mm) lets you get in deeper on more stubborn lines and wrinkles, allowing for a serum to get below the dermis.
3. Nurse Jamie Beauty Stamp ($50): So technically this cool, razor-looking device isn’t a roller, but the stamp works similar to one by using itty bitty needles to create micro-impressions on your skin. The impressions then go into healing mode, creating more collagen and firmness. Bonus points for the arty design.
4. Derma Roller, The Roller Micro Needle Skin Care Beauty Massage Tool ($9): What we love about this simple roller is that it’s NBD if you’re on the fence about using one. For the price of two Starbucks grande lattes, you can try it, and be totally guilt-free if you’re not a fan.
5. ORA Microneedle Face & Full Body Roller Kit ($85): Looking to firm up those hard-to-reach spots? This kit contains all you need to get to those pesky lines around your lips and eyes, and on the neck and abdomen. There are four interchangeable heads that vary in needles and sizes, so you don’t have to worry about irritating sensitive areas (bigger needles can cause redness on thinner skin) and can get a firmer look from head to toe.
6. Rodan + Fields AMP MD SYSTEM ($220): This set is the closest thing to getting a dermatology treatment without going to the doctor’s office. Gently roll the device all over your face in 4-10 passes, then break open a capsule of the serum and smooth it on. Thanks to both a powerful retinal ingredient (it’s 20 times more potent than retinol) and the tiny punctures allowing for better penetration, you can expect to see firmer-looking skin, a more even tone, and fewer fine lines in a couple of weeks.
Follow us on Pinterest for more beauty inspo and info.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.