9 Fall Color Combos You Need to Try Now
Beyond parting ways with airy summer dresses, chic sandals and shoulder-baring tops, making the sartorial transition to fall involves a shift on the color spectrum. And nope, that doesn’t mean ditching color completely and embracing an all-black-everything outlook. Your fall wardrobe can be as vibrant as you want it to be — show-stopping separates, statement-making shoes, colorful accessories and all. But in lieu of the tropical hues that dominated your warm-weather wardrobe, your closet starts to take on a moodier, warmer and more dramatic tone. While there’s certainly something to be said for a monochromatic ensemble, we’re partial to a more visually stimulating look, which is why we’ve taken some of our favorite new-season hues and created the nine fresh combinations below. Looking to take your style game to the next level? Add a little pattern play into the mix. We dare ya!
1. Janessa Leone Majori Hat ($132) + J.Crew Crystal Fan Earrings ($48): As sophisticated as black, but with a whole lot more panache, this dramatic duo is downright DDG. The only thing missing to make your #OOTD feel street-style ready? A structured duster coat and Instababe ankle boots.
SILVER + PASTEL BLUE
2. Zara Metallic Biker Jacket ($70) + J.Crew Cable Crewneck Sweater With Ruffle Sleeves ($80): Daytime metallics are definitely a thing, and we can totally see why. With its silvery sheen and badass edge, this contemporary biker jacket is the key to endless Insta-worthy ensembles. Team the quicksilver stunner with a pastel blue blouse, distressed denim and lace-up flats for an off-duty look that captures the season’s crisp air and understated elegance.
OLIVE + FOREST GREEN
3. Topshop Oversized Shacket ($85) + Urban Outfitters Saturday Sleek Square Sunglasses ($16): Keep summer’s vibrancy alive all season long by going green, mixing muted shades of olive with eye-catching forest green tones — the brighter, the better. Add a silver cuff or a metallic bag to complete the look and highlight the combo’s bold contrast.
YELLOW + PINK
4. Wilfred Free Isabelli Sweater ($110) + Zara Small Faux Fur Stole ($50): Autumn isn’t all jewel tones and foliage-influenced palettes. Look beyond the expected spectrum of red, black and navy blue and embrace show-stopping shades of yellow and pink to set your style apart. We’re swooning hard for this snuggly duo that would look ah-mazing worn alongside velvet heels and belted trousers.
COBALT + LILAC
5. No. 6 Bright Blue Brady Turtleneck ($150) + Mango Stone Earrings ($16): Infusing an everyday ensemble with a little extra oomph is as easy as adding this cobalt and lilac combo to your lineup. Test drive a boy-meets-girl vibe by teaming this bright turtleneck with a structured blazer and wingtip kicks for the boardroom, or channel your inner glam goddess with a sequin slip dress and ankle boots.
TEAL + WOODLAND BROWN
6. H&M A-Line Skirt ($25) + Madewell Frankie Chelsea Boots ($228): Between harvest parties, tailgates and the obligatory trip to the pumpkin patch, your iCal is jam-packed with festive fall events that call for your seasonal best (think: chic sweaters, statement outerwear and swoon-inducing stompers). Keep things fresh and fabulous with this teal cord skirt and nut brown ankle boots that are equal parts sensible and stylish.
NAVY + RUST
7. & Other Stories Waisted Dress ($85) + Mango Modal Trench ($100): Who’da thought that rust would become a fall must-have? Swap out your standard tan trench for this bold alternative that is the answer to gray skies and cool temps. Make it pop by pairing it with a classic shade of navy blue, preferably in the form of a flirty floral frock and embellished block heels that would feel right at home at a farm-to-table feast or a first-time meeting with the in-laws.
FUSCHIA + WINE
8. J.Crew Rhodes Pant in Italian Wool ($128) + H&M Hobo Bag With Suede Details ($60): Two ends of the color spectrum combine in one jaw-dropping getup that’s ready to take your RN wardrobe by storm. Fuchsia on its own is a bonafide scene-stealer, but when you take a pair of high-octane trousers and team them with a vivid burgundy bag (maybe even a red blouse if you’re feeling particularly daring), you have all the makings for an iconic ensemble. The only thing missing? Berry lips and menswear-inspired kicks that will cut the sweetness of this raspberry and rouge look.
BURNT ORANGE + BLUSH
9. Mango Jersey Bodycon Dress ($60) + ModCloth Pliés as Punch Flat ($70): Lazy girl style that makes a serious statement? Sign us up! A warm shade of burnt orange makes this snuggly sweater dress scream fall, while lace-up blush ballet flats take home the prize for comfort and style. Toss ‘em together with a plaid jacket, knit beanie and leather backpack for weekend shenanigans in the city.
Follow us on Pinterest for more style inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.