7 Ways Chalkboard Paint Can Organize Your Family’s Life
Chalkboard paint is one of those little inventions that can totally change the way we do things — or at least come in really, really handy. No mama wants to spend her oh-so-precious time scanning school supply websites for a clunky chalkboard just to write her family’s soccer/t-ball/dance/karate/swimming schedule on. That’s where chalkboard paint comes in. It’s affordable, it’s versatile, and it’s a lifesaver for artsy and craft-averse parents alike. Scroll on for seven easy chalkboard paint tricks that’ll give your life a major upgrade.
1. Boredom Buster: Instead of having to stop whatever you’re doing and hunt for paper, paints, crayons, and glitter to entertain your kiddo, a wall of chalkboard is… well, kind of just there. Outline a massive rectangle with painter’s tape, fill it in with chalkboard paint, and there you have it: a low-maintenance art activity that’s available all the time.
2. Scheduling Hack: Again, buying a chalkboard (or a white board) takes time. There are so many options out there, and you have no idea which one will fit in your space. And then you have to figure out how to hang this gargantuan creature on your kitchen or family room wall. No thank you! Just turn one of your walls into a DIY chalkboard, draw a grid on it, and start adding your family’s weekly schedule.
3. List Twist: There’s never any paper when you need it, and don’t even start looking for a pen. You’re lucky if you find half a crayon. But that doesn’t stop your fam from listing off all the things they need. Chalkboard paint to the rescue! A strategically placed swatch and a tiny container of chalk (try reusing an old yogurt container) make for an instant list.
4. Writing Reminders: Picture this: You’re leaving for work at 7am, but your S.O. and the kids aren’t making their way to daycare until 8am. You don’t want to get in the way of their routine, or wake them up earlier than necessary, so you leave behind a note… a note that no one sees, because it’s on a Post-it that fell onto the floor and was promptly eaten by the dog. A wall covered in chalkboard paint lets you graffiti mega-sized notes to each other, without the fear that they’ll get lost in the ether.
5. Crafty Containers: Chalkboard paint is a great way to label all of those mason jars you’ve been saving. With the swipe of a piece of chalk, you can organize pantry items, the kids’ art supplies, and lord knows what else. Best of all, you can always erase and rewrite, so your DIY storage system stays super versatile.
6. Gifts Galore: Don’t settle for the same-old, same-old for Grandma this year. True, she won’t complain that she’s getting yet another holiday card finger print painting, but you want to gift your own mama with something special. Cover just about anything (except food) with chalkboard paint and you’ve got a completely crafty and simple-to-make present.
7. Study Buddy: Whether your little one is just starting to learn her ABCs or she’s already writing her name, chalkboard paint is a serious game-changer when it comes to practicing everything from the alphabet to addition. A wall, some chalk, and a little tutoring by you can get your child completely into the learning process!
Do you have a favorite chalkboard paint craft? Share yours and tweet us @BritandCo!
(Photo via Getty)
No matter what your holiday plans look like this year, we know you want to feel present and able to embrace the warm and festive spirit to the fullest — not be bogged down by errands, stressful hosting duties, and last-minute shopping disasters. We wouldn't be surprised if one look at your December to-do list sent you into a full-on panic.