We could rattle off a laundry list of why we love summer (starting with, uh, beach weather!), but instead, let’s turn our attention to one of the major downfalls of the season: It can dim fresh hair color. Culprits like chlorine, sun exposure, and heat-friendly updos have been known to expedite fading, meaning you’ll need touch-ups faster than ever. Counter those effects with the shade-extending saviors below. Use ’em all or mix and match for brilliant color that’ll last well into fall.
1. Aveda Color Conserve Shampoo and Conditioner ($22 each): Since some harsh ingredients in shampoos and conditioners have been known to strip color, it’s crucial to find a set that’s made specifically for dyed hair. The power duo works to seal each hair cuticle, keeping your hue locked in to prevent fading.
2. Olaplex Hair Perfector No. 3 ($28): Hair pros call this treatment the holy grail of color maintenance. To use, apply once a week to towel-dried hair for at least 10 minutes (but more is better!).
3. Orlando Pita Ampli-Tint Color Deposit Hair Mask ($30): This mask does so much more than keep your dye job sharp — it actually deposits a matching color to boost the look, while also correcting tone. Available in four tints, it should be slathered on once a week for five to 30 minutes.
4. Bed Head TIGI Beach Bound ($19): Like the SPF for your bod, this protection spray will keep hair color safe from the sun’s damaging rays. The sunflower seed oil and grapefruit extract-based formula uses a UV protectant to help your mane stay vibrant.
5. Kerastase Touche Chromatique ($102): It may cost a pretty penny, but the mask and concentrate kit has been proven to prolong color between salons visits. Get 14 uses per box, and choose between blonde, copper, red, and brown shades to really customize the experience.
6. DpHUE Gloss+ ($30): Like the shine-enhancing treatment you might receive after a color service, this DIY gloss can bring sheen back to lackluster strands in as little as three minutes. Bonus: The formula is free of peroxide and ammonia.
What’s your best trick to extend the life of your color? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.