17 Pieces to Wear to a Holiday Party When You’re Not Feelin’ a Dress
LBDs are the ultimate party getup when you want to look classy and chic, but if rockin’ a frock just isn’t in the cards, the answer to the inevitable “What am I going to wear?” question becomes a whole lot more complicated. But it doesn’t need to be — there are so many other ways to show off that sartorial know-how and nail your holiday party look. From velvety tops to show-stopping, shimmery trousers, these 17 stylish alternatives to the standard party dress have you covered from now until New Year’s.
1. Silence + Noise Portia Jumpsuit ($119): It doesn’t get any sassier than this. A wide leg jumpsuit with a fitted, cross-front bodice is sure to turn heads with its edgy, modern allure. Rock it with platform sandals and chandelier earrings. If temps take a major dive, add in a glittery v-neck top for a little extra warmth.
2. ASOS Super Skinny Trouser in Metallic Co-ord ($63): Sleek suiting is the ultimate alternative to the traditional party dress. It says classy, cool and ahead of the sartorial curve. Pair it with a sassy crop top or go for a tuxedo-inspired look with a polished blouse.
3. H&M Sequined Turtleneck Top ($50): Staying warm and on top of your style game doesn’t have to be at odds. A sequin-studded turtleneck has you covered in drafty rooms and city streets, plus it’ll steal the spotlight the minute you walk through the door.
4. Free People Swingy Velvet Jacket ($198): Two words: red velvet. If that doesn’t say show-stopper, nothing will. Pair it up with leather-look leggings, a sheer, cream-colored blouse and studded heels for a femme-fatale-meets-ladylike feel.
5. Article & Teague Tartan Cape ($90): Not every get-together calls for going all out, and that’s where this tartan cape comes in. It’s festive, uber cozy and totally fuss-free. Win the whole holiday dressing thing hands down by pairing it with dark skinnies and sleek booties.
6. ASOS Sequin Irridescent Romper With Mesh Insert ($117): Icy blue sequins, sheer sleeves and a playful short silhouette translate to a holiday look that everyone will be gushing about for weeks.
7. Ann Taylor Petite Sequin Ankle Pants ($119): It’s that time of year when sequined pants totally fly, so the only question is: Why would you not wear them at every opportunity? Do it.
8. Eleven Paris Padore Cracked Foil Sweatshirt ($142): Lazy girls everywhere, rejoice! This cracked-foil sweat is the answer to all your holiday wardrobe dilemmas. It’s cozy and effortlessly chic. Pair it with leather joggers and metallic heels and get ready to take on all those festive fetes in style.
9. Topshop Bardot Velvet Crop Top ($80): Your favorite Bardot top just got a major seasonal makeover with plush velvet and a rich jewel tone. Perfect with everything from metallic skirts to clean-cut trousers.
10. BB Dakota Owens Midi Skirt ($110): This quicksilver skirt is fit for a snow queen. Wear it with a soft, oversized knit in a snowy white hue, glam crystal baubles and ankle strap pumps and prepare to reign supreme at all the get-togethers on your agenda.
11. Topshop Embellished Fringe Top ($95): Shine bright from now until New Year’s with a sequin-studded, fringe-flecked top. Wear it with leather for an instant jolt of cool.
12. H&M Patent Leather Pants ($299): If you’re looking to make a statement this season, patent leather pants are where it’s at. Keep it classy by rocking it with a soft knit or flowy blouse and boyish flats.
13. & Other Stories Metallic Wool Sweater ($65): Get your (subtle) sparkle on with a warm merino wool sweater threaded with specks of silvery glitter. Layer it over metallic trousers or a simple, side-slit skirt.
14. Topshop Foil Caged Cami ($52): Wallflowers, beware — this foil top is anything but understated. The strappy caged cut dresses up a classic cami, while green foil fabric screams dance floor diva.
15. Free People Oxanna Velvet Flare ($128): If you’re looking for another way to get your velvet fix, then you need a pair of these flares in your life. Wear with a sequin top and platforms for the ultimate fusion of throwback and festive vibes.
16. ASOS Embellished Romper With Fringed Cape ($108): Want to blow everyone away the minute you walk through the door? Then this is the fashion-forward look you need to add to your holiday repertoire.
17. Topshop Foil Pleated Midi Skirt ($115): This coppery number means less time deciding what to wear and more time getting your party on. By day it makes for a next-level office outfit when paired with a chunky knit and block heels; by night it’s a classy yet totally fun hero piece that instantly elevates a v-neck cami and strappy sandals.
Show us your favorite ways to dress up without a dress by tagging us on Instagram + using hashtag #iamcreative!