Thanks to Ariel and her magical world under the sea, we have all at one point or another wished we were born a mermaid. Luckily, your mermaid dreams can come true for your very own birthday celebration! Your 30th birthday bash is the perfect excuse to finally live out your childhood dreams (as well as those of your friends). With the help of the gorgeous, ocean-inspired decorations below, and a generous dose of scaley sparkles, there won’t be anything stopping you from feeling like the mermaid you always wanted to be. To get in on all the details, keep scrolling for 17 Ariel-approved 30th birthday party ideas.
1. DesignElementsByErin Aqua, Purple and Coral Paper Garland ($10+): All parties can do with a little *sparkle*. Complete those glittery garland accents with aquamarine and coral hues to really sell those mermaid vibes.
2. Dinglehoppers: Just in case your memory needs refreshing, Ariel’s dinglehopper (AKA a fork she used as a comb) is a treasure she finds and cherishes. Treat your guests to this Disney throwback, but make sure they use it for their food and not their hair. (via Lillian Hope Designs)
3. DIY Dip-Dyed Coffee Filter Backdrop: Create this dreamy backdrop using dip-dyed coffee filters. Aside from its beautiful beachy vibes, this DIY backdrop is super affordable. Display it by hanging it from the ceiling or tying it to a backdrop stand. It would make a great photo booth — just add props! (via Ruth Eileen Photography / Style Me Pretty)
4. DIY Sea Glass Candy: Sea glass isn’t just pretty to look at — now it can taste great too! Well, at least these sugary sea glass candies do. Combine liquid or gel food coloring and sugar, and voila! You’ll have the yummiest ocean candy for you and your guests. (via Something Turquoise)
5. DIY Glittered Mason Jar Drink Cups: Your guests will love these mason-jar-turned-tumblers. Pro tip: To achieve the mermaid-esque scalloped effect, opt for shaped painters tape or manually cut the tape to your desired design. (via Madigan Made)
6. Jellyfish: Display beautiful floating jellyfish from the ceiling to make your guests feel as if they’re underwater. For another *magical* touch, fill the ceiling with white balloons to act as bubbles or foam on the ocean’s surface. (via Hostess With the Mostess)
7. DIY Sparkle Coasters: These seemingly iridescent coasters are the beautiful tableware essentials you never knew you needed. Take advantage of their brilliance by pairing them with clear glasses for a sparkly underwater effect. (via Mod Podge Rocks / Parties for Pennies)
8. Mermaid-Inspired Chocolates: If you thought chocolates couldn’t get any better, think again. These ocean-themed chocolates might just be the prettiest and yummiest things with shells on them! (via Hostess With the Mostess)
9. Coral on a Stick: Rock candy is already a fun treat that appeals to your inner child. Step it up with a clever label like “Coral on a Stick” to get a good laugh from your friends. (via Catch My Party)
10. DIY Mermaid Cuffs: As the hostess, you’ve gotta dress appropriately for your party’s theme. These DIY mermaid cuffs are sure to help you do just that. Deck out different colored bracelets in glam ocean-inspired charms for pretty accessories your friends will love. (via Make Your Mark With Mark Montano)
11. Themed Snacks: Put your creative chops to the test by whipping up themed snacks without getting *too* fancy. It’s an ideal trick (especially if you’re running short on time). (via Brie Brie Blooms)
12. Clam Cookies: If you’ve got time to spare, whip up these tasty-looking clam macarons featuring edible pearls. Put ’em in a pretty white bowl and you’re good to go. (via Mark Brooke Photography and Mathieu Photo / POPSUGAR)
13. Mermaid Tassel Garland ($20+): Whether you DIY or buy, one thing’s for sure: A colorful array of tassels will do wonders for sprucing up a party. Because they’re loosely threaded, each tassel can be moved along the twine to create a more sparse or full look.
14. DIY Mermaid Tiara: Give Ariel a run for her money with these fabulous DIY mermaid tiaras. If you’re planning on turning this DIY into an activity, consider doing it early on so you and your guests can show off your creations all party long. (via Creative Green Living)
15. Treasures: Aside from pirates, treasures and mermaids go hand-in-hand. Snag cheap and colorful necklaces at your local dollar store then turn them into decorative favors guests can take home after the party. (via Modern Moments Designs)
16. DIY Mermaid Plush Dolls: With a little extra effort, you can make these adorable mermaid plush dolls for your guests’ party favors. Download the free mermaid patterns and customize your mermaids — everything from their skin tone to tail color — for a truly beautiful and special gift. (via A Beautiful Mess)
17. Starfish Place Setting: From hair accessories to tops, starfish are known for their versatility in the mermaid world. Take advantage of the useful ocean gem by embellishing your place setting and creating this ethereal underwater vision. (via Mark Brooke Photography and Mathieu Photo / POPSUGAR)
Which of these items will you feature in your mermaid-themed party? Follow us on Pinterest for more creative party theme ideas!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.