This New Pinterest Decor Trend Will Bring Those Under-the-Sea Vibes into Your Home
It might sound a little crazy to decorate your home with a fish-inspired theme, but hear us out — the fish scale decor trend that is taking over Pinterest is exactly what you need to give your home a fresh new look. Besides, mermaid everything is surging in popularity, so the jump to fish scale decor really isn’t that much of a stretch. There are a ton of ways to add this magical trend to your home without going full-on Little Mermaid, whether you fully commit with a fish-scale tiled bathroom or just want to add a touch of whimsy with shimmery mermaid decor. Dive in for a closer look at these 13 seaworthy ideas that will help you turn your home into an Ariel-approved paradise.
1. Mermaid Pillows: Start out easy by adding some mermaid-scale throw pillows to your couch or bed. Pair a large pillow in scalloped rainbow colors with an aquamarine couch or chair for a look that is chic, modern, and far from boring. (via Style by Emily Henderson)
2. Wood Scalloped Wall: If you’re looking for a way to really make a statement in your bedroom, a floor-to-ceiling scallop tile pattern can make any space look and feel unique. Opt for neutral wood tones and bright textiles to keep the pattern from overwhelming your space. (via Classy Clutter)
3. Monika Strigel Really Mermaid Fleece Throw Blanket ($79+): Make waves with a bold green and gold fleece blanket. Then let the soothing calm of an ocean-inspired palette be your inspo to accessorize the room with oil slick candles and a DIY mermaid pillow.
4. Serena & Lily Scalloped Hide Rug ($498): No gills required for this shimmery mermaid scale rug. Each hand-stitched beauty is made out of layered patches of natural cowhide for a totally one-of-a-kind statement piece.
5. Pastel Scallops: Sometimes it’s the simplest color palettes that are often the most striking. Here, pastel blue mermaid tiles create a stunning visual effect in this small bathroom, while gold fixtures and hardware keep the look fresh and feminine. (via Elle Decor)
6. DENY Designs Mermaid Scales Duvet Cover & Sham Set ($169+): Update your bedroom with a watercolor scale-patterned duvet that goes with anything. The soft blue watercolor wash will send you off to dreamland — and you just might wake up with perfect beachy waves in true #mermaidstyle.
7. Lulu & Georgia Scalloped Table Lamp ($167): If you can add only one mermaid-inspired piece to your home, this should be it. All the land lovers will want to know where you got such a shimmery lamp. Just tell them it was practically mer-made for you.
8. Jetty Home Purple + Teal Mermaid Scales Wall Art Print ($15+): Let this watercolor mermaid art print remind you that the sea will always have your heart. Pop the print in a rustic weathered wood frame to complete the beachy look, or a gold frame to go more glam.
9. Monochromatic Backsplash: Large white mermaid tiles go swimmingly with a light wood kitchen. Opt for simple cabinet fronts and light wood floors to create a neutral backdrop for plants. Add perfectly curated cheese trays and your kitchen will be so crisp and clean, it’ll feel like a day at the beach. (via Bask Interiors)
10. DIY No-Sew Scalloped Pillow Case: Looking for a less permanent way to bring the mermaid trend home? Look no further than this no-sew pillowcase. All you need is a handful of felt circles in your chosen mermaid palette and a bottle of fabric glue — so easy! (via Motte)
11. Contemporary Chic: You’ll never go back to square floor tiles after seeing this monochromatic beauty. The large gray fish-scale tiles and white grout give the bathroom a modern feel that’s so gorg against the black hardware and beachy artwork. (via Emily Henderson)
12. Serena & Lily Capiz Scalloped Chandelier ($298): Give your dining room, living room, or even bedroom extra cool factor with a scalloped pendant light. The gilded edge is totally glam — kinda like the Little Mermaid, but all grown up.
13. Deepest Green Backsplash: A modern kitchen gets a *wash* of color with this dark emerald green backsplash. Part jungle, part mermaid, these darker fish scales are both clean and slightly edgy, offering a great backdrop for all your ‘grammable smoothie bowls. (via Homes to Love)
Ready to rock the mermaid scale trend? Follow us on Pinterest for even more decor inspo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Our undergarments might have taken a backseat in 2020, but with a new year upon us, we're feeling inspired to reprioritize our most intimate clothing layer — especially in time for Valentine's Day. Because hey, what better way to kickstart a season of self-love than by treating yourself to a confidence-boosting set of lingerie?